| Département du Taro|
|department of the First French Empire|
Administrative map of the Italian portion of the French Empire.
44°48′N 10°20′E / 44.800°N 10.333°ECoordinates: 44°48′N 10°20′E / 44.800°N 10.333°E
|•||Annexion from the Duchy of Parma||1808|
|•||Treaty of Paris||1814|
|•||1812||5,022.36 km2 (1,939 sq mi)|
|Density||75 /km2 (194.2 /sq mi)|
|Political subdivisions||3 Arrondissements|
Taro was a department of the First French Empire in present-day Italy. It was named after the Taro river. It was formed in 1808, when the Duchy of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla was annexed by France under the Treaty of Lunéville. Its capital was Parma.
The department was disbanded after the defeat of Napoleon in 1814. At the Congress of Vienna, the Duchy was restored and given to Marie Louise, Napoleon's wife. Its territory is now divided between the Italian provinces of Parma and Piacenza.
- Parma, cantons: Colorno, Corniglio, San Donato, Fornovo, Langhirano, San Pancrazio, Parma (2 cantons), Poviglio, Sissa, Traversetolo and Vairo.
- Piacenza (French: Plaisance), cantons: Agazzano, Bettola, Borgonovo, Castel San Giovanni, Pianello, Piacenza (2 cantons), Ponte dell'Olio, Pontenure, Rivergaro and Rottofreno.
- Borgo San Donnino, cantons: Bardi, Borgo San Donnino, Busseto, Carpaneto, Cortemaggiore, Fiorenzuola, Fontanellato, Lugagnano, Monticelli, Noceto, Pellegrino, San Secondo and Zibello.