Roman amphora and mosaic of Tamuda, in the "Archaeological Museum of Tetouan"
Shown within Morocco
|Coordinates||Coordinates: 35°32′N 5°23′W / 35.533°N 5.383°W|
The ancient city was founded in the 3rd century BC by the Mauretanian Berbers of northern Morocco. Probably there was a Phoenician presence during the next century, mainly for commerce. Under the Emperor Augustus Romans occupied the city.
Around 42 AD, Roman garrisons leveled Tamuda during an insurrection and in its stead erected a fortified settlement. The Emperor Augustus' successors later rebuilt the city as a Roman castrum.
Tamuda became later one of the major cities of the Roman province Mauretania Tingitana and enjoyed a development during Trajan and Septimius Severus rule. It was used for fish salting and purple production, according to researcher from the University of Cadiz. On the Notitia Dignitatum, written in the fifth century, it is stated that at the end of the fourth century Tamuda's castrum was the headquarters of an "Ala Herculea" (cavalry unit) of local limitanei and that was related to a cohortes of Lixus.
The region around Tamuda was fully Romanized, Christianized and "pacified" during the fifth century and the fort probably was dismantled. By the time the Vandals arrived in the fifth century the city had been possibly abandoned as no contemporary chronicle mentions it anymore.
- Archaeological Museum of Tetouan: Tamuda
- Tamuda excavations
- Evolución urbana de Tetuán (PDF) (in Spanish). Junta de Andalucía. p. 29.
- M. Tarradell, El poblamiento antiguo del Rio Martin, Tamuda, IV, 1957, p. 272
- Tittawin, Halima Ferhat, "The Encyclopaedia of Islam", Vol. X, ed. P.J. Bearman, T. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van Donzel and W.P. Heinrichs, (Brill, 2000), 549.
- El Azifi, M.R. L'habitat ancien de la vallée de Martil in "Revue de la Faculté des lettres de Tétouan", année 4, n° 4 Tetouan, 1990