Location of Srem District in Serbia
|• Total||3,486 km2 (1,346 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Density||89.2/km2 (231/sq mi)|
|Municipalities||6 and 1 city|
|- Cities and towns||7|
Srem District (Serbian: Сремски округ, Sremski okrug, pronounced [srɛ̂ːm], literally: "Syrmia District") is a northwestern district of Serbia. It lies in the regions of Syrmia and Mačva, in the autonomous province of Vojvodina. It has a population of 311,053 (2011). Seat of the district is in the city of Sremska Mitrovica.
In Serbian, the district is known as Sremski okrug (Сремски округ), in Croatian as Srijemski okrug, in Hungarian as Szerémségi Körzet, in Slovak as Sriemskí okres, in Rusyn as /Сримски окрух/, and in Romanian as Districtul Srem.
It encompasses the municipalities of:
District population is composed of:
In the 3rd-5th century, the city of Sirmium (present-day Sremska Mitrovica) was a capital of Pannonia Secunda Roman province and in the 6th century it was a capital of Byzantine Pannonia. In the 7th century, during Avar administration, the area was ruled by Bulgar local ruler Kuber, while in the 11th century, it was ruled by independent Bulgarian-Slavic duke Sermon. In the 11th century, it was part of the Byzantine Theme of Sirmium.
During the administration of the medieval Kingdom of Hungary (12th-16th century), the area was divided between Sirmiensis and Valkoensis counties. During Ottoman administration (16th-18th century), the area was initially a part of the vassal Ottoman duchy of Syrmia ruled by Serb duke Radoslav Čelnik and was subsequently included into the Sanjak of Syrmia. During Habsburg administration (18th-19th century), the area was divided between the Syrmia County and the Military Frontier. In the 1850s, northern parts of the area were part of the Novi Sad District, but were again included into Syrmia County after 1860. Since the abolishment of the Military Frontier in 1882, Syrmian parts of the Frontier were also included into Syrmia County.
During the royal Serb-Croat-Slovene (Yugoslav) administration (1918-1941), the area was part of the Syrmia County (1918-1922) and Syrmia Oblast (1922-1929). From 1929 to 1931, the area was divided between Danube Banovina in the north-east and Drina Banovina in the south-west, while from 1931 to 1939 the area was part of the Danube Banovina. From 1939 to 1941, north-western parts of the area were part of the Banovina of Croatia.
During the German-Croatian Axis occupation (1941-1944), the area was included into the Grand County of Vuka. Since 1944, the area was part of autonomous Yugoslav Vojvodina (which was part of new socialist Yugoslav Serbia since 1945). The present-day districts of Serbia (including Syrmia District) were defined by the Government of Serbia's Enactment of 29 January 1992.
The Krušedol Monastery is a true treasury of the Vojvodinan painting. It was founded in 1514 as an endowment of Orthodox bishop Maksim Branković and his mother Angelina.
In the Novo Hopovo Monastery particularly attractive is the church architecture and the fresco paintings. The exact time of its first construction is unknown, but 1765 is known as the year of its reconstruction.
Leading actors in the economy of Sremska Mitrovica are the "Matroz" factory of cellulose and paper, the Wood Combine, the "1 novembar" furniture factory and the "Woods of Serbia".
Note: All official material made by Government of Serbia is public by law. Information was taken from official website.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Syrmia District.|