Swedish for immigrants
Swedish For Immigrants (normally known as SFI or Svenskundervisning för invandrare in Swedish) is the national free Swedish language course offered to most categories of immigrants. Immigrants who speak Danish or Norwegian are ineligible for free Swedish tuition through SFI. All other persons who have emigrated to Sweden are entitled by law to Swedish language education.
SFI is directed towards people who lack basic knowledge in Swedish and are of the minimum age of sixteen. The training is paid for by the municipality (local authority) in which the immigrant lives, and applications to take the course are made to the municipality's adult education department (kommunens vuxenutbildning). The SFI (kurs D) test is equivalent to stage B1 (Independent Speaker: Threshold or pre-intermediate) on the Common European Framework.
- SFI system in Stockholm explained in English at Stockholm.se
- Learning Swedish in Stockholm from Spouses.nu
- Skolverket Information on SFI in Swedish from the education office.
- Wikipedia.se SFI on Swedish Wikipedia.
- Stockholm.se SFI in Stockholm explained in English.
- Studentum Information about SFI on Studentum.
- Verbix.com: Swedish Conjugate Swedish verbs.
- Lexicon Online Swedish-English dictionary.
- SFI Länkar (SFI links) Useful round-up of SFI resources
- languagekompis.com:Swedish Online resources about Swedish language and culture. Navigation in English.