Sussex Archaeological Society

The Sussex Archaeological Society, founded in 1846, is the oldest county-based archaeological society in the UK. A registered self-funding charity whose charitable aims are to enable people to enjoy, learn about and have access to the heritage of Sussex. This is done by opening six historic sites in Sussex to visitors, providing research facilities in its library, running excavations, providing a finds identification service and offering a variety of walks, talks and conferences on the archaeology and history of Sussex. Its headquarters are at Bull House, High Street, Lewes, Sussex former home to Tom Paine. The current chief executive of the society is Tristan Bareham.

As well as the supervision of excavations within Sussex, the SAS publishes the Sussex Archaeological Collections and an annual report, and administers the Long Man of Wilmington. The six historic properties and museums open to the public are:


In April 2006, the society started an archeological investigation into the Tide Mills area.[1] The investigation is expected by Newhaven Local & Maritime Museum to include not only the tide mill, but also to record the entire East Beach site: Mills, Railway Station, Nurses Home, Chailey Heritage Marine Hospital, Newhaven Seaplane Base and the later holiday homes and the Newhaven Marconi Radio Station of 1904.

Notable members


The society has published an official journal, Sussex Archaeological Collections, annually since 1848 with a few gaps. It is sent to members and subscribers, and exchanged with other similar societies.


  1. Initial details of the Sussex Archaeological Society Tide Mills archaeology project
  2. Christian, Garth (1961). Down the Long Wind - a study of bird migration. London: Newnes.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 1/25/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.