Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures
The office of the Surveyor of the King's/Queen's Pictures, in the Royal Collection Department of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom, is responsible for the care and maintenance of the royal collection of pictures owned by the Sovereign in an official capacity – as distinct from those owned privately and displayed at Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle and elsewhere. The office has only been full-time since 1972. It now operates in a professional capacity with a staff of a dozen people.
Although the office dates from 1625, there has always been someone responsible for pictures in the Royal Household. Notable recent office-holders have included Sir Lionel Cust (1901–1927), Sir Kenneth Clark (1934–1944), Professor Anthony Blunt (1945–1972), and Sir Oliver Millar (1972–1988). The current Surveyor of the Queen's Pictures is Desmond Shawe-Taylor, appointed in 2005.
List of Surveyors of the King's/ Queen's Pictures
- Desmond Shawe-Taylor CVO MA 2005–
- Christopher Lloyd, CVO MA 1988–2005
- Sir Oliver Millar GCVO FSA FBA 1972–1988
- Anthony Blunt PhD MA FSA FBA 1945–1973 – Formerly Sir Anthony Blunt KCVO, until he was stripped of his titles after being exposed as a former spy.
- Sir Kenneth Clark KCB FBA 1934–1944
- Sir C. H. Collins Baker CVO 1928–1934
- Sir Lionel Cust FSA 1901–1927
- Sir John Charles Robinson CB FSA 1880–1901
- Richard Redgrave RA 1856–1880
- Thomas Uwins RA 1844–1856
- Sir Augustus Wall Callcott RA 1843–1844
- William Seguier 1820–1843
- Benjamin West RA 1791–1820
- Richard Dalton 1778–1791
- George Knapton 1765–1778
- Stephen Slaughter 1745–1765
- Peter Walton c.1690–1745 (officially from 1701)
- Frederick Sonnius 1690–1701
- Henry Norris 1682–
- Parry Walton 1679–1690 (officially to 1701)
- Gerrit van Uylenburgh 1676–1679
- William Chiffinch 1666–
- Thomas Chiffinch 1660–1666
- George Geldorp 1660–
- Abraham van der Doort 1625–
- "Press Release: Appointment of new Surveyor of The Queen's Pictures, The Royal Collection". Royal Collection. 2004-12-17. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- The London Gazette: . 5 March 1901. Retrieved 15-10-2012.
- About the Royal Collection – official website