Suriname national cricket team
|Association||Surinaamse Cricket Bond|
Affiliate (2002) |
|ICC region||ICC Americas|
|WCL||2016 Division Five|
Suriname v. Belize |
(Panama; 23 March 2004)
|As of 4 September 2015|
The Suriname national cricket team is the team that represents the country of Suriname in international cricket matches. The team is organised by the Surinaamse Cricket Bond, which has been an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) since 2011 (and previous an affiliate member from 2002).
Suriname made its international debut at the 2004 Americas Affiliates Championship in Panama, where it placed last. At the 2006 ICC Americas Championship, the team won the division three event, and was promoted to division two for the 2008 edition. Suriname also won that event, and were promoted to the 2008 Division One tournament in the United States, but were immediately relegated after going winless. Since then, Suriname has generally alternated between the first and second divisions of ICC Americas events, most recently placing fourth (out of four teams) at the 2015 Americas Twenty20 Championship.
In the World Cricket League (WCL), the team placed last in the 2009 Division Seven tournament and fifth (out of eight teams) at the 2010 Division Eight tournament, relegating it to the regional qualifiers. Suriname re-entered the WCL system at the 2015 Division Six event in England, and subsequently qualified for 2016 Division Five. However, they later withdrew from the Division Five tournament due to an ICC investigation about the eligibility of some of their players.
Suriname became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council in 2002. Their international debut came in 2004 at the Americas Affiliates Championship, where they came last in the five team tournament. A big improvement came two years later in the new Division Three of the ICC Americas Championship when they won a four team tournament also involving Brazil, Chile and the Turks and Caicos Islands. This qualified them for the Division Two tournament played in Argentina late in 2006, when they came fourth out of five teams, which means that they will keep their Division Two place in 2008.
ICC World Cricket League
- 2009 Division Seven: 6th – relegated
- 2010 Division Eight: 5th – relegated
- 2015 Division Six: 1st – promoted
- 2016 Division Five: Pull Out
ICC Americas Championship
- 2000–04: Did not participate
- 2006: Division Three won, Division Two fourth place
- 2008: Division Two won, Division One sixth place
- 2010: Division Two second place
- 2011 ICC Americas Twenty20 Division One
- 2013 ICC Americas Twenty20 Division One: Third place
- 2015 ICC Americas Twenty20 Division One: Fourth place
The 14 players in Suriname's squad for the 2015 ICC World Cricket League Division Six tournament are:
- Mohindra Boodram (captain)
- Wasim Akram Haslim
- Banerd Bailey
- Mohan Balkaran
- Hemradj Basropansingh
- Badloe Jaiperkash
- Sauid Drepaul
- Arun Gokoel
- Vejai Hirlal
- Khemraj Jaikaran
- Muneshwar Patandin
- Shazam Ramjohn
- Falli Sharat
- Soechit Dravin
Sabajo William Lila Travis Dalloesingh Rayan (co-captain) Falli Shiva Falli Shakti Bale Adjai Angoelal Rajiv(shatmang) Santoe Raier
- "Suriname achieves Associate Member Status" – ICC Americas. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- Other matches played by Suriname – CricketArchive. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "Suriname pull out of WCL Division 5". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "World Cricket League: Suriname withdraw from Division Five tournament in Jersey". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- Suriname pull out of WCL Division 5