|Developer(s)||SuperTux Development Team|
|Release date(s)||April 2, 2003 (0.1.1), and November 5, 2016 (0.5.1)|
SuperTux is a free and open-source two-dimensional platform game published under the GNU General Public License. The game was originally created by Bill Kendrick and is maintained by the SuperTux Development Team. It is written mostly in the C++ programming language.
The game was inspired by the Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. series. Instead of Mario, the hero in this game is Tux, the mascot of the Linux kernel. Many of the in-game graphics were created by Ingo Ruhnke, author of Pingus.
The development occurs in a series of milestones, each one improving steadily upon the last. Currently, Milestone 1 (version 0.1.1-0.1.3, released in 2003) and Milestone 2 (version 0.5.0, released in 2016) have been officially released as stable.
In 2008, SuperTux was used as a game for children by school district #73 in British Columbia, which had decided to transition to free and open source software. The game was scheduled to be included in the release of the EVO Smart Console as of April 2009.
Punto Informatico described the atmosphere of the game as pleasant and praised the free availability of the game.
Version 0.4.0 was released on December 20 2015, which features improved gameplay, all new graphics, SDL2 and more features.
- "SuperTux license".
- "SuperTux/supertux: SuperTux source code". GitHub. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- Hendrey, Andrew (April 7, 2008). "Canadian school district serves up lessons on the power of Linux". IT Business. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Linux-Spielkonsole Evo Smart Console kommt auf den Markt" [Linux game console Evo Smart Console will be released] (in German). Die Presse. April 6, 2009. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "SuperTux" (in Italian). Punto Informatico. July 26, 2007. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SuperTux.|
- Official SuperTux website
- supertux on GitHub
- Download stable or development snapshots
- Review and screen shots of Milestone 1 at HeadshotGamer.com
- Tutorials on Supertux 2 and its level editor