|Comune di Sturno|
Location of Sturno in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°1′N 15°6′E / 41.017°N 15.100°ECoordinates: 41°1′N 15°6′E / 41.017°N 15.100°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Avellino (AV)|
|• Total||16 km2 (6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||662 m (2,172 ft)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Sturno has been inhabited at least from the time of the Greeks in 800 BC and later became part of the Roman Empire. Sturno became an independent township in 1809. Prior to that, Sturno was called Casali di Frigento and was a hamlet of the town of Frigento. As a farming community, it struggled economically in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Twin towns and sister cities
Sturno has a sister city of Glen Cove, New York, United States on Long Island in the metropolitan area of New York City. In the early 20th century, many people emigrated from Sturno to New York, settling together in Glen Cove.