Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry
Moscow State Stroganov Academy of Industrial and Applied Arts (Russian: Московская Государственная Художественно-Промышленная Академия им. С.Г. Строганова) informally named Stroganovka (Строгановка) is one of the oldest Russian schools for the industrial, monumental and decorative art and design. The University is named after its founder, baron Sergei Grigoriyevich Stroganov.
The school was founded in 1825 by Baron Sergey Stroganov. It specialised on the applied and decorative art. In 1843 the school became state-owned. In 1860 it was renamed Stroganov School for Technical Drawing.
After the October Revolution the school was reorganized and became a part of the State Free Art Shops (Государственные Свободные Художественные Мастерские), Vkhutemas and Vkhutein. Since 1930 it is Moscow Institute for the Decorative and Applied Arts (Московский Институт Декоративного и Прикладного Искусства), MIDIPI (МИДИПИ). In 1945, after the end of the World War II the school was restored as an applied art educational establishment. Since 1996 the school was named Moscow State Stroganov University of Industrial and Applied Arts. In 2009 the school got its present name Moscow State Stroganov Academy of Industrial and Applied Arts (Russian: Московская Государственная Художественно-Промышленная Академия им. С.Г. Строганова).
Notable faculty and students
- Mikhail Vrubel
- Konstantin Korovin
- Alexey Shchusev
- André Andrejew
- Sergei Gerasimov
- Vikentii Trofimov
- Dmitry Shcherbinovsky
- Mikhail Mikhailovich Adamovich
- Konstantin Vialov
- Official website (English)