|Coordinates: 59°22′32.16″N 17°02′04.56″E / 59.3756000°N 17.0346000°E|
|Denomination||Church of Sweden|
|Diocese||Diocese of Strängnäs|
It is built mainly of bricks in the characteristic Scandinavian Brick Gothic style. The original church was built of wood, probably during the first decades of the 12th century, on a spot where pagan rituals used to take place and where the missionary Saint Eskil was killed during the mid 11th century. The wooden church was not rebuilt in stone and bricks until 1340, just after Strängnäs became a diocese.
Strängnäs Cathedral Library is one of the oldest still surviving and working library in Sweden. It takes its origins to the year 1316 when Strängnäs Dominican monastery according to a record kept by a will received a widow's donation of books. The library was built then consciously by the bishops Kort Rogge and John Matthiæ. During the 1600s, it was expanded by Christina, Queen of Sweden agency of the spoils of war, especially from the cities of Prague, Olmutz and Nikolsburg. The library came during 1700s that expanded through gifts and bequests from learned diocesan clergy . It was during the 1800s kept in the former school building's main hall and is now in the special Library chancel in the cathedral's northwestern corner, with a position as Catherdral librarian responsible. Dr Henrik Aminson (1814-1885) published in 1863 the over 600 pages comprehensive printed directory Bibliotheca Templi Cathedralis Stregnensis, quae maximam partem ex Germania Capta est circa finem belli triginta annorum, descripta, 1-2.
Sources and external links
- Strängnäs Cathedral official website (Swedish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Strängnäs Cathedral.|