Saint-Philibert de Tournus
The abbey was closed in the seventeenth century and St Philibert became a collegiate church. During the French Revolution it was secularised as a Temple of Reason. Subsquently, Roman Catholic worship resumed.
The earliest buildings on the site are assumed to have been destroyed by a Hungarian invasion. Some sources suggest that construction of the present building began before 1000, although most of the construction is somewhat later. It is in the early First Romanesque style of Burgundy, which began to use further Romanesque and early Gothic styles during the beginning of the 11th century.
The church is set in a fortified enclosure, and defence was evidently a factor in the design of the building. The west front can be described as "lithic" in that it has heavy masonry walls and few windows.
In the nineteenth century the building was restored by Charles-Auguste Questel.
Noirmoutier was the location of the first recorded Viking raid on continental Europe, when raiders attacked the monastery in 799. Around 863 the monk Ermentarius wrote a history of the transfer of the monastery and the relics of Philibert of Jumièges.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Philibert, Tournus.|
- First Romanesque in France, Pictures of St. Philibert at Tournus and St. Martin at Chapaize
- Tournus page on the site Bourgogne Romane