St Peter and St Paul's Church, Sturton-le-Steeple
|St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Sturton-le-Steeple|
St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Sturton-le-Steeple
|53°20′42.9″N 0°49′9.58″W / 53.345250°N 0.8193278°WCoordinates: 53°20′42.9″N 0°49′9.58″W / 53.345250°N 0.8193278°W|
|Location||Sturton le Steeple|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Dedication||St Peter and St Paul|
|Heritage designation||Grade II* listed|
|Bells||6 (Cast Iron Frame)|
|Parish||Sturton le Steeple|
|Deanery||Bassetlaw and Bawtry|
|Diocese||Southwell and Nottingham|
|Archbishop||Archbishop of York|
|Bishop(s)||Bishop of Sherwood & Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham|
|Vicar(s)||Rev M Cantrill Team Vicar|
|Dean||Dean of Bassetlaw & Bawtry|
|Archdeacon||Archdeacon of Newark|
The church dates from the 12th century. It burned down in 1901 and was rebuilt by Charles Hodgson Fowler opening in 1902.
Clays Group of Churches
Five churches within the Clay Division make the Clays Group.
- St Peter, Hayton
- St John the Baptist, Clarborough
- St Peter & St Paul, Sturton le Steeple
- St Martin, Bole
- St Peter & St Paul, North Wheatley
There are six bells in an eight bell cast iron frame. The back five bells are dated 1825 and were cast by Thomas II Mears. The treble was cast in 1991 by John Taylor & Co. The bells aren't rung from ground floor. The tenor weighs 10 cwt and the treble weighs 5 cwt.
There are monuments to Lady Oliva de Montbegon (d 1236), and Dame Frances Earle (d. 1687).
- The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire: Nikolaus Pevsner.
- "Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Street (south side) Sturton le Steeple, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire". Images of England. London, United Kingdom: English Heritage. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Peter and St Paul's Church, Sturton-le-Steeple.|