St Andrew Holborn (parish)
|St Andrew Holborn|
|• Origin||Ancient parish|
|• Succeeded by||
Reduced 1723: St George the Martyr|
Reduced 1767: St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr
In 1723 part of the Middlesex section of the parish became St George the Martyr. This was recombined with the remaining Middlesex portion of St Andrew Holborn in 1767 to create St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr. The remaining parish in the City of London was also known as St Andrew Holborn Below the Bars. It was abolished as a civil parish in 1907.
The ancient parish included most of the Holborn area to the west, bordering onto St Giles in the Fields. As such it included both Lincoln's Inn and Gray's Inn which rented pews in the church of St Andrew, Holborn. Thavie's original property, which was left for his endowment of the church, Thavie's Inn became a lawyers inn and may have been the original home of Lincoln's Inn before it relocated to its present site. Lincoln's sold Thavies Inn for redevelopment in 1785.
- St Andrew Holborn, City of London