St Andrew's Church, Lisbon
|Igreja de Santo André|
View of the main façade of the church.
|Location||Rua Arriaga, Lisbon, 1100, Portugal.|
An English-speaking congregation was established in Lisbon by the Free Church of Scotland in 1866; the present church building in Rua Arriaga in the historic Lapa district of Lisbon was constructed in 1899. The Church of Scotland services are conducted in English, but the building is also used by a Portuguese-speaking Methodist congregation.
The majority of the congregations of the Free Church of Scotland united with the United Presbyterian Church in 1900 creating the United Free Church of Scotland, which itself united with the Church of Scotland in 1929. The congregation was part of the Church of Scotland’s Presbytery of Spain & Portugal, which in 1974 became part of the Presbytery of Europe, which was renamed the International Presbytery in 2016.
Services are held at 11.00 am every Sunday. As of late March 2013 the congregation is without a permanent minister; the previous minister was the Rev Graham McGeoch, who was ordained and inducted to the congregation in December 2009 and moved to Edinburgh in early 2013.