St. Peter and St. Paul Cathedral, Saratov
|St. Peter and St. Paul Cathedral|
|Собор Святых Апостолов Петра и Павла|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The St. Peter and St. Paul Cathedral (Russian: Собор Святых Апостолов Петра и Павла) also called more formally Cathedral of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul is the cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Saratov, located as its name indicates in Saratov, a town in Russia. Saratov was from the mid-nineteenth century, the seat of the Bishop of Tiraspol in Imperial Russia. It was not resident in Tiraspol, but had jurisdiction over southern Russia and Siberia. Then the city was populated by large minorities of Poles and Germans from the Volga, the latter being installed in the region since the second half of the eighteenth century. The first Catholic church was built in 1805 in a small town growing with settlers from throughout the Empire.
During Soviet times the church was persecuted after its dissolution will not be allowed to return to the Catholic community that occupied the old site.
So a new cathedral was consecrated to the Apostles Peter and Paul in 2000 with the presence of the apostolic nuncio and only became a cathedral in 2002.
- Cathedral of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul
- "Brandt Brass | Participation in holiday service of St. Peter's and St. Paul's Cathedral, Saratov.". www.brandtbrass.com. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- "Catholic News - Catholic Charity - Catholic World : Russia: Catholics of the diocese of St Clement in Saratov celebrate the Cathedral's 10th anniversary". members4.boardhost.com. Retrieved 2016-04-20.