St. Mary's Church (Rochester, New York)
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and Rectory
The church building (the rectory is hidden behind)
|Location||15 St. Mary's Pl., Rochester, New York|
|Coordinates||43°9′12″N 77°36′23″W / 43.15333°N 77.60639°WCoordinates: 43°9′12″N 77°36′23″W / 43.15333°N 77.60639°W|
|Architectural style||Mid 19th Century Revival, Other|
|MPS||Inner Loop MRA|
|NRHP Reference #||92000154|
|Added to NRHP||March 12, 1992|
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and Rectory are located in downtown Rochester, New York.
The cornerstone of the church was blessed 18 September 1853 by Bishop of Buffalo John Timon (the Diocese of Rochester was not formed until 1868). The building was dedicated, with Timon presiding, on 24 October 1858. The architect of the church is unknown, but design influences of Richard Upjohn and other church architects are apparent.
A brick rectory was built in 1905, replacing an earlier rectory.
A spire and belfry, designed by Richard B. Arnold, were added in 1939-1940, and a 10-note Deagan tower chime was installed in time to be played for Christmas 1939. The north tower may have been intended to have a spire originally, but financial difficulties may have precluded adding it earlier.
The church and rectory were added to the National Register of Historic Places on 12 March 1992.
- Kathleen LaFrank (December 1990). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and Rectory". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2008-08-15. See also: "Accompanying six photos, exterior and interior, from 1989 and 1990". and "Accompanying nomination correspondence".
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.