Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Warsaw
|Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary|
Kościół Nawiedzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny (Polish)
Church of the Visitation, Warsaw
|Architectural style||Brick Gothic|
|Town or city||Warsaw|
|Client||Janusz I the Old|
The Church of the Visitation of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary (Polish: Kościół Nawiedzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny), otherwise known as St. Mary's Church (Kościół Mariacki) is a church in Warsaw, Poland. It is one of oldest buildings and one of the few surviving examples of Gothic architecture in the city. It is located at ulica Przyrynek 2.
St. Mary's Church stands on the site of an ancient pagan place of worship. The church's foundation stone was laid by Janusz I the Old, Duke of Masovia and his wife, Danutė of Lithuania, in 1409. The church was consecrated in 1411. It has been modified, demolished and rebuilt several times. Originally it had one nave, was made of bricks, had a ceiling and an arch presbytery, before the end of the 15th century it was transformed into a three nave basilica.
The church's most striking characteristic is the tower, built in 1518. It is recognizable from a great distance and is depicted in the oldest images of Warsaw.
During World War II, the church was severely damaged by German forces - the roof of the nave collapsed and the upper portion of the tower was blown up. It was reconstructed in 1947-1966 to the design by Beata Trylińska.
Behind the church is small park with a set of steps that lead down to the Vistula and the so named Kościuszko banks of the river. In the square there are outdoor theatre performances and concerts which are organized locally.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Church of the Visitation in Warsaw.|
- "Churches". inyourpocket.com. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "Historia Kościoła Najświętszej Marii Panny". Parafia Nawiedzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny (in Polish). Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "kościół p.w. Nawiedzenia Najświętszej Marii Panny". warszawa1939.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Church of Visitation of Blessed Virgin Mary". Treasures of Warsaw on-line. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- "Walking route of The Visitor free city guide". thevisitor.pl. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- Stefan Kieniewicz, ed. (1984). Warszawa w latach 1526-1795 (Warsaw in 1526-1795) (in Polish). Warsaw. ISBN 83-01033-23-1.