St. Mary's, Rochfortbridge GAC

St. Mary's, Rochfortbridge
Naomh Mhuire, Droichead Chaisleáin Lóiste
Founded: 1950
County: Westmeath
Nickname: The Bridge
Colours: Green and White
Grounds: Father Eamon O'Brien Park (main grounds), Fr Delaney Park (training)
Coordinates: 53°25′01.02″N 7°18′08.80″W / 53.4169500°N 7.3024444°W / 53.4169500; -7.3024444Coordinates: 53°25′01.02″N 7°18′08.80″W / 53.4169500°N 7.3024444°W / 53.4169500; -7.3024444
Playing kits
Standard colours

St. Mary's is the Gaelic football club in the village of Rochfortbridge, Westmeath, Ireland. The club was founded as an amalgamation of Gibbonstown and Rochfortbridge Warriors in 1950. They won the Westmeath Senior Football Championship in their first year of existence. In total, they have won 3 Senior championships, with 6 final appearances. The original Gaelic Athletic Association club in the village - Rochfortbridge Warriors - date back much further and were very successful, winning 6 Senior championships and also appearing in 6 finals.

In 2003, St Marys were relegated from the Senior ranks. They won the Intermediate championship at the first time of asking in 2004, but were relegated to Intermediate in 2006 and Junior in 2007, a very low point for the club. They won the Junior championship straight away in 2008, eventually progressing to the Leinster Junior Club Final, which they lost. They have retained Intermediate status since then, reaching the semi-final of the championship in 2011.

At underage, St Marys has had moderate success. The U12s won a Div 2 league 2004 and Div 1 league 2010. At U14, there have been Div 3 championships (2005,2009), a Div 2 final in 2008, a Div 1 championship in 2011 and a Div 4 final appearance in 2014. At U16 there were Div 2 league titles (2007,2010), a Div 2 championship in 2008 and a Div 1 final appearance in 2011.At minor level there has been a Div 1 league title in 2007 and a Div 2 final appearance in 2014. St Marys was also well represented on the successful Clann Braonain teams of 2007(U16) and 2009 (minor).

Off the field, the club continues to improve. In 2007 floodlit astroturf was installed to add to the current facilities at the club's main grounds. The club also maintains Fr. Delaney Park as a separate training ground. A gym is scheduled to be built in 2015.

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/2/2014. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.