St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry
Current facility in Pittsford
1893 (original St. Bernard's)|
1981 (current institution)
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic Church|
|President||Father George Heyman|
|Dean||Dr. Devadasan Premnath|
Pittsford, New York, USA|
43°06′05″N 77°31′34″W / 43.1013°N 77.5260°WCoordinates: 43°06′05″N 77°31′34″W / 43.1013°N 77.5260°W
|Campus||Main campus in Pittsford; extension in Albany; classes in Syracuse at LeMoyne College|
|Affiliations||University of Rochester, Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School (Rochester), Siena College (Albany)|
St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry is a Roman Catholic theological school in Pittsford, New York. It has existed in its current form since 2003, but has existed through previous forms since 1893.
St. Bernard's original institution was Saint Bernard's Seminary, founded in 1893 in Rochester. Lasting 98 years in the same location on the north side of Rochester, it also educated men and women for lay ministry; was U.S. seminaries to accept laity. Its campus still exists and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1981, Saint Bernard's Seminary closed and St. Bernard's Institute was created to replace it, moving to the campus of Colgate Rochester Divinity School, sharing the buildings, including the library, and cross-registering students for classes that fit both schools' curricula. The Institute also opened an extension in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany in autumn 1989.
In 2003, St. Bernard's adjacent to the campus of Nazareth College in Pittsford.moved to its own facility on French Road,
- "History". Rochester, New York: Colgate Rochester Divinity School. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
In 1981, St. Bernard's Seminary was closed, and St. Bernard's Institute was born and entered into a covenant relationship with Colgate Rochester Crozer. It moved to the CRCDS campus, where it remained until recently. It was finally able to build a new campus nearby, and changed its name to St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry. But through these changes it has remained in covenant partnership with CRCDS.