St. Aidan's Cathedral
St. Aidan's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns. It is located in Enniscorthy, County Wexford, in Ireland. It was built in 1843 and was designed by Augustus Welby Pugin. The saint to whom the cathedral is dedicated is Máedóc of Ferns (feast day 31 January), also known as Áedan or Aidan, who died in 626, and not to be confused with St. Aidan of Lindisfarne (feast day 31 August), an Irish missionary who died in 651.
Notable features include the façade, a reredos carved from Caen stone and a great north window with intricate stone tracery. The cathedral was subsequently much renovated in line with reforms promulgated by the Second Vatican Council. It was restored to its near original design in 1994 when authentic colours, materials and techniques were used. The restoration took a year, during which time cathedral services were held at St Mary's church (Church of Ireland) nearby.
The cathedral is similar in structure to St Mary's Cathedral, Killarney.
- "St Aidan". St Aidan's Cathedral. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- Irish churches and monasteries: an historical and architectural guide by Seán D. O'Reilly, 1997 ISBN 1-898256-14-4