Southwestern Christian College
|Affiliation||Churches of Christ|
|President||Dr. Jack Evans, Sr.|
|Location||Terrell, Texas, United States|
SwCC was founded in 1948 by the educator and minister G. P. Bowser under the name Southern Bible Institute in Fort Worth, Texas. The initial class consisted of 45 students.
School officials intended to buy property in Fort Worth to erect a permanent school plant. In the summer of 1949, the school had the opportunity to purchase the property of the closed Texas Military College in Terrell. It did so and relocated the campus that fall, changing the name of the college.
The campus includes two locally significant historic buildings:
- the first dwelling erected in Terrell, an octagonal-shaped house designed to provide better defense against Indian attacks. (Built by the first Terrell in town, it was called a "Round House.") The house was fitted with the first glass windows in Kaufman County, Texas. It is one of only 20 surviving Round Houses in the entire nation.
- the Administration Building, which originally housed all of the Texas Military College. It was built by W. B. Toone. His wife was born to a family who lived in the Terrell Round House.
SwCC offers associate's and bachelor's degrees. Two years of study in most fields are offered outside of those involving preparation for full-time ministry. Many junior- and senior-level courses have been offered in recent years, which eventually lead to the school's first bachelor's degree graduates in 1984 and online courses at the present. A concerted effort has been made by the board of trustees not to allow the college's somewhat-limited resources to be spread too thinly.
Southwestern's associate level graduates typically earn the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree; the bachelor level graduates typically earn the Bachelor of Science degree. Dr. Jack Evans, Sr. is the current college president. He has held this position since 1967 and is believed to be the longest-serving college president in the nation.
SwCC participates in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Region 5 as a Division I program.
SwCC participates in volleyball, basketball (men's and women's), and track (men's and women's). The school colors are blue and white and the school mascot is the ram.
Southwestern Christian College, founded and sponsored by members of Churches of Christ, is accredited as a four-year (level II), educational college (limited to Bachelor's degree in Bible and Religious Education), with a two-year associate program in the liberal arts. Its purpose is to offer a holistic educational program that will motivate the student to value and achieve academic excellence within the context of commitment to moral and spiritual values; to assist students in making transitions from high school to higher education on various levels; to assist students in preparation for varied vocations in life; and to prepare future leaders for their distinct communities and the world at large.
In the founding and establishing of Southwestern Christian College, those who participated were motivated by a mutual desire to provide for its students' preparation for effective and successful Christian living. Each was keenly sensitive to the urgency of this need. To appreciate its importance, one must fully understand the concepts of "Christian Living". In keeping with this concept of "Christian Living", Southwestern Christian College is dedicated to the purpose of offering such instruction that will prepare the student to effectively take his place in the business and social world, well rooted and grounded in the Word of God.