Paris Garden (until 1670)
|• 1881||77 acres (310,000 m2)|
|• 1921||77 acres (310,000 m2)|
Liberty (until 1670)|
Civil parish (1670—1930)
Southwark Christchurch was a parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was the manor and liberty of Paris Garden until 1670.
In 1855 it was grouped into the St Saviour's District.
It became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark in 1900 and was abolished as a civil parish in 1930.
Southwark is home to the Paris Garden, infamous for bear and bull baiting throughout the 1500s and 1600s. Bear Baiting is the sport of tormenting animals and setting them loose on defenceless animals and sometimes people.
The northern boundary was the River Thames between Old Barge House Stairs and Falcon Dock. The rest of the boundary was formed by a looping stream.
- Reginald H. Adams (1971). The Parish Clerks of London. Phillimore.