South Fermanagh (Northern Ireland Parliament constituency)
Former County Constituency|
for the Parliament of Northern Ireland
South Fermanagh shown within Northern Ireland
|Election method||First past the post|
South Fermanagh was a constituency of the Parliament of Northern Ireland.
Fermanagh South was a county constituency comprising the southern part of County Fermanagh. It was created in 1929 when the House of Commons (Method of Voting and Redistribution of Seats) Act (Northern Ireland) 1929 introduced first-past-the-post elections throughout Northern Ireland. Fermanagh South was created by the division of Fermanagh and Tyrone into eight new constituencies, of which three were in County Fermanagh. The constituency survived unchanged, returning one member of Parliament until the Parliament of Northern Ireland was temporarily suspended in 1972, and then formally abolished in 1973.
Unlike the other seats in County Fermanagh, South Fermanagh was a strongly nationalist area. The seat was consistently won by the Nationalist Party candidate, who, for most of its existence, was the party leader, Cahir Healy. It was only contested on two occasions: in 1949 by an Ulster Unionist Party candidate, and in 1969 by a People's Democracy candidate.
Members of Parliament
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Northern Ireland 1921–72
|UUP||F. G. Patterson||2,596||28.0||N/A|
|People's Democracy||P. J. Cosgrove||2,100||33.8||N/A|
- Parliament prorogued 30 March 1972 and abolished 18 July 1973
- The Northern Ireland House of Commons, 1921-1972, Northern Ireland Elections
- Northern Ireland Parliamentary Elections Results: Counties: Fermanagh