|Comune di Soragna|
Location of Soragna in Italy
|Coordinates: 44°56′N 10°7′E / 44.933°N 10.117°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Parma (PR)|
|Frazioni||Carzeto, Castellina, Diolo|
|• Mayor||Salvatore Iaconi Farina|
|• Total||45 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||49 m (161 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The town is known from 712, when it was mentioned in a document by the Lombard king Liutprand. From 1198 it was a possession of the Lupi family and was an imperial fief (a marquisate from 1347 and a principate from 1709), with the right to mint coins.
It is home to a medieval rocca (fortress), turned into a palace, called the Rocca Meli Lupi. It has 16th century frescoes by Cesare Baglione, possibly Niccolò dell'Abbate, and others. The surrounding park was turned into an English garden around 1820.
Among its churches are:
- Beata Vergine del Carmine e San Rocco
- San Giacomo
- Oratory of Sant'Antonio da Padova
- Santa Caterina D'Alessandria
- Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia
- Data from Istat
- Mordacci, Alessandra, ed. (2009). La Rocca di Soragna. Parma: Gazzetta di Parma Editore.
- Website about the Rocca di Soragna (Italian)
- San Giacomo (Saint James) church.