Sondrio railway station
View from a train towards the main platform.
Piazzale Giovanni Bertacchi|
23100 Sondrio SO
Sondrio, Sondrio, Lombardy
|Coordinates||46°10′02″N 09°52′22″E / 46.16722°N 9.87278°ECoordinates: 46°10′02″N 09°52′22″E / 46.16722°N 9.87278°E|
Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
40.498 km (25.164 mi)|
|Opened||16 June 1885|
Location within Northern Italy
The station is currently managed by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI). However, the commercial area of the passenger building is managed by Centostazioni. Train services are operated by Trenitalia. Each of these companies is a subsidiary of Ferrovie dello Stato (FS), Italy's state-owned rail company.
Sondrio railway station is situated in Piazza Giovanni Bertacchi, at the southeastern edge of the town centre.
The station was opened on 16 June 1885, upon the inauguration of the Lecco–Colico–Sondrio section of the Valtellina railway. Like the rest of the line, the station was part of the Rete Adriatica (RA) (English: Adriatic Network), which, from 1 July 1885, was headed by the management of the Società per le Strade Ferrate Meridionali (SFM) (English: Company for the Southern Railways).
On 29 June 1902, the line was extended to Tirano, as the Alta Valtellina railway, operated by the Società Ferrovia Alta Valtellina (FAV) (English: Alta Valtellina Railway Company).
As a consequence of the nationalization of the Italian railways on 1 July 1905, the Valtellina line from Lecco and its rolling stock passed into the ownership of the FS. In 1970, the FS also assumed control of the Alta Valtellina line to Tirano.
The passenger building, following a renovation, consists of the following public spaces: ticketing, bar, kiosk and waiting room. Since the renovation, the waiting room has occupied the space previously allocated to a first class waiting room. The upholstered chairs previously located there have been replaced by wooden benches from the old second class waiting room.
The building containing the public conveniences, which was expanded in 2009, is now Milanese in style, with a green space in front of which there is a fountain with drinking water.
In front of the station, extending over the tracks, is the locomotive shed, which currently houses the historical resources of the rail heritage group ALe 883.
At the Tirano end of the station, inside some detached buildings, are the headquarters of the Railway Police. There is also a goods yard, no longer in use, and access to the pedestrian underpass, which links the passenger building with platforms 2 and 3, the bus station, the free municipal parking at the Policampus, the school campus and the districts beyond the railway.
In the square in front of the passenger building, there is a taxi rank and bus stop servicing bus routes 1, 3 and 4, operated by ASM Sondrio.
A STPS bus stop is also located near the station.
- History of rail transport in Italy
- List of railway stations in Lombardy
- Rail transport in Italy
- Railway stations in Italy
- Alessandro Tuzza; et al. "Prospetto cronologico dei tratti di ferrovia aperti all'esercizio dal 1839 al 31 dicembre 1926" [Chronological overview of the features of the railways opened between 1839 and 31 December 1926]. Trenidicarta.it (in Italian). Alessandro Tuzza. Retrieved 7 January 2011. External link in
Media related to Sondrio railway station at Wikimedia Commons
This article is based upon a translation of the Italian language version as at January 2011.