Something Special (TV series)
|Genre||Children's television series|
|Written by||Allan Johnson, Phillip Hawthorn|
|Directed by||Allan Johnson, Michael Towner|
|Presented by||Justin Fletcher|
|Opening theme||Archie Brown|
|Ending theme||Archie Brown|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Sue Nottt (season 1), Clare Elstow|
|Editor(s)||Gareth Heal, Stephen Young|
|Original release||2003 – Present|
Something Special is a children's television programme presented by Justin Fletcher. It was created and produced for 10 years by Allan Johnston. It is broadcast by the BBC. It is designed to introduce children to Makaton signing, and is specifically aimed at children with delayed learning and communication difficulties. It is aired on the CBeebies channel and in the past was also broadcast as part of the CBeebies programme strand on BBC One and BBC Two.
The name of the programme derives from the idea that all children, irrespective of their position on the learning spectrum, are special.
Their format of the show has evolved considerably since the original series. In 2012, a new series, "Something Special - We're All Friends" started, introducing some minor changes to the "Out and About" format. This format change has also included a change in location, and introduced the Tumble Tap, a tablet computer showing the "special things" to look for.
It is presented by Justin Fletcher ("Justin") and features various other characters (also played by Fletcher) and clips of children with disabilities. Justin speaks as well as signing, and a spoken narrative is provided over the clips of children.
The other characters played by Fletcher are the Tumble Family: Mr Tumble, an adult who himself displays delayed learning and communication difficulties, Grandad Tumble and Baby Tumble. Other members of the Tumble family to have made appearances include two Aunts - Polly and Suki (as in the popular nursery rhyme "Polly Put the Kettle On"), Lord Tumble and King Tumble.
In series 2, Justin meets a friend named Guy H Pickle, they dance around a mulberry bush.
The creator and producer is Allan Johnston, who worked as a teacher of children with special needs before joining the BBC in 1989.
- Series 1 (2003-2006) and 2 (2007)
- Each episode has a duration of approximately 15 minutes.
- Series 3 "Out and About" (2008)
- Series 3, again presented by Justin Fletcher, was produced in 2008. 'Guests' included Mr Tumble, Granddad Tumble, Aunt Polly, Aunt Sukey and Cliff Tumble (a parody of Cliff Richard, with whom Justin has a link though his father Guy Fletcher (songwriter)). This series was made at various locations across the UK, including Wales, Northern Ireland and England. Each episode has a duration of approximately 20 minutes.
- Mr Tumble shorts (2009)
- From 2009, CBeebies occasionally showed short programmes consisting of the Mr Tumble sections from the various episodes, without the sections featuring Justin. It appears that the BBC may view these programmes as series 4 of Something Special, as the full series which followed is referred to as series 5.
- Series 5, 6 and 7 Out and About (2010-2012)
- Series 5 of the show followed the Out and About format of series 3, in a "new, daily, week-day, year-round slot designed to provide continuity for its loyal audience" and introduced a new character, Lord Tumble. The series has Mr Tumble and the other Tumble characters primarily based in "Tumble House", a large detached house located in extensive grounds close to the sea. Justin Fletcher revealed this to be located in Porlock, Somerset. The house and grounds are populated with large coloured spots, balloons and similar circular/spherical items in keeping with the spots on Mr Tumble's costume. The episodes typically feature Mr Tumble sending photographs of items he is interested in finding out about to Justin using his "Spotty Bag". Justin, with the assistance of the children with him, locates these items or activities and in return sends associated items back to Mr Tumble. There is typically a link in the theme between the actions of Mr Tumble and the other Tumble characters, and the activities Justin and the children participate in.
- Series 8 (Something Special - We're all friends) (2012-2013)
- In 2012, a new series, "Something Special - We're All Friends" started, introducing some minor changes to the Out and About format. This format change has also included a change in location, and introduced the "Tumble Tapp", a tablet computer and game (the game is available on the Cbeebies website.
- The Tale of Mr Tumble (2015)
- In July 2015, a theatrical production starring Justin Fletcher as Mr Tumble and Ronni Ancona as The Unsmiling Principle featuring Mr Tumble was performed, which sees the Mr Tumble character as a baby and as a young boy, and follows him throughout his early life.
- Series 9 - 10 (Something Special - We're All Friends) (2014 - 2016)
|1||9 August 2004||Pets|
|2||10 August 2004||Weather|
|3||11 August 2004||Moving|
|4||12 August 2004||Garden|
|5||11 September 2003||Farm|
|6||16 August 2004||Toys|
|7||17 August 2004||Clothes|
|8||18 August 2004||School|
|9||18 September 2003||Food|
|10||20 August 2004||Family|
|11||23 August 2004||Transport|
|12||24 August 2004||Colours|
|13||25 September 2003||All About Me|
|14||26 August 2004||Food Part 2|
|15||27 August 2004||Under the Sea|
|16||30 August 2004||Jungle Animals|
|17||2 October 2003||Where I Live|
|18||1 September 2004||Shops|
|19||2 September 2004||What I Like|
|20||3 September 2004||Music|
|01/15||Farm||Justin meets his friends Samantha and Ernie on a farm just outside Belfast.
Friends: Ernie Bhatia-Catterall & Samantha Srivastava-Davies
|02/15||Wood||Justin is off to explore a wood, but first he must find his friends Leah and Aidan.
Friends: Aidan Malhotra-Power & Leah Somani-Griffiths
|04/15||Theme Park||Justin travels to a theme park to meet his friend Nell. They plan to go on three rides.
Friend: Nell Wadhwa-Jones
|05/15||Stables||Justin visits stables in Northern Ireland and meets his friends Michael and Natasha.
Friends: Natasha Agarwal-O'Connell & Michael Tiwari-Holden
|06/15||Mountain||Justin, Jack and Jack's teacher are walking up Mount Snowdon. Mr Tumble is on a walk, too.
Friend: Jack Bharath
|07/15||Vet||Justin meets his friend Savannah, her sister Cheyenne and their guinea pig at the vet.
Friends: Savannah & Cheyenne Kohli-Collins
|08/15||High Street||Justin is in Enniskillen in Northern Ireland to meet his friends Bridget and Gary.
Friends: Gary Dhaliwal-Rosewell & Bridget Vimalan-Taylor
|09/15||Beach||It is a sunny day and Justin is at the beach with his friends Sophie and Chloe.
Friends: Sophie Lakhani-Mason & Chloe Jindal-McDowell
|10/15||School||Justin goes to school to meet Noor, who's in the hydrotherapy pool. She has fun splashing.
Friend: Noor Singh Kaur
|11/15||Railway||Justin arrives at a railway station to meet his friends, Callum, Daniel and Miriam.
Friends: Callum Kamalan-Roberts, Daniel Bharathi-Bates & Miriam Mohan-Marshall
|12/15||Market||Justin visits a market in Belfast with Ross and his family. Ross has a shopping list.
Friends: Ross & Kai Mudgal-Cullen and their parents
|13/15||Football||Justin visits Fulham Football Club to meet his friends Curtis and Lilly-Sue.
Friends: Curtis Anand-Harris & Lily-Sue Gowda-Griffin
|14/15||Camping||Justin is at a campsite in the New Forest where he meets his friend Harry and his family.
Friends: Ellie, Lewis & Harry Wadhwa-Boswell and their parents
|15/15||Castle||Justin has come to visit Carrickfergus, an old castle in Northern Ireland.
Friends: Caroline Churmi-Forbes, Jack Srinivas-Belton & Ross Bharata-Evans
|01/15||8 March 2010||Airport||Justin and his friends, Rhys and Violet, visit Bembridge Airport on the Isle of Wight and fly in an aeroplane. They look for a helicopter, a fire engine and a pilot. Mr Tumble tries to fly, with some help from Granddad Tumble.|
|02/15||9 March 2010||City||Justin and his friends George and Georgia head off to Manchester city centre. They look for a double-decker bus, some shops and a fountain. Mr Tumble has to put on the right shoes and coat before he can catch his bus. He misses the bus, but Aunt Polly gives him a ride to the city on her bike.|
|03/15||10 March 2010||Garden Centre||Justin and his friends, Oscar and Muzzammil go to a garden centre. They look for a wheelbarrow, a yellow plant and flower pot. Mr Tumble looks for a hole to put his flower into. Lord Tumble is first introduced in this episode, playing golf.|
|04/15||11 March 2010||By the Sea||Justin and his friends, Fehim and Violet, are by the sea in the Isle of Wight. They look for a chairlift (in Alum Bay), a lighthouse (on The Needles) and a game. They visit the lighthouse in a boat. Mr Tumble is a pirate looking for his treasure with some help from Granddad Tumble and Aunt Polly.|
|05/15||12 March 2010||Hospital||Justin visits Sheffield Children's Hospital, where he sees Ciaran who is going to have an operation on his ear. They look for a nurse, some pyjamas, and some toast. Mr Tumble visits Grandad Tumble in hospital, bringing some presents with him.|
|06/15||15 March 2010||Houseboat||Justin and his friends, Tobias and Lois, go boating in a houseboat on the Norfolk Broads. They look for a suitcase, a windmill (the Horning Windmill), and a duck. Mr Tumble tries to find a good place to put up his tent, but gets in the way of Aunt Polly and Grandad Tumble.|
|07/15||16 March 2010||Leisure Centre||Justin and his friends, Chantelle, Amy and Molly, go to a Leisure centre. They look for a swimming pool, a float, and a bouncy castle. Mr Tumble takes part in a Sports day, competing with Aunt Polly for a throwing competition, Aunt Sukie for a bouncing competition and Grandpa Tumble for the egg and spoon race, with Lord Tumble acting as a judge. Mr Tumble fails to win a trophy, losing at all these events, but is given an egg cup for taking part.|
|08/15||17 March 2010||Animal Park||Justin and his friends William, Stephie and Dylan visit an animal park on the Isle of Wight (Amazon World Zoo). They look for a snake, some fruit and vegetables and an owl. Mr Tumble look for his animal - he finds Aunt Sookie's duck and Lord Tumble's rabbit, and discovers that Granddad Tumble has his animal (a tiger).|
|09/15||18 March 2010||Playdate||Justin and his friend Courtney go to visit Alfie and Frankie. They look for a sitting room, some stairs and a kitchen. They dance, play musical statues and make some sandwiches. Mr Tumble's cousin, Cool Tumble comes to visit and they play musical bumps, build dens and play Hide-and-seek.|
|10/15||19 March 2010||Animal Rescue||Justin and his friends Tyreece, Casey and Jordan visit Trindledown Farm in Berkshire. They look for a spotty dog, a rabbit and a ginger cat. Mr Tumble looks after Aunt Sookie's dog.|
|11/15||22 March 2010||Bike Ride||Justin and his friends Alfie and Frankie visit Bushy Park in West London to go on a bike ride. They look for a bicycle, a stream and a bench. Mr Tumble is pretending to be a postman, so he uses a bicycle to deliver parcels to Lord Tumble, Aunt Polly and Grandad Tumble.|
|12/15||23 March 2010||Creative Walk||Justin and his friends Saracen, Isaac and Lauren go for a walk around a farm to get ideas for their big farm picture. They look for a sheep, a pig and a donkey. Mr Tumble paints a picture.|
|13/15||24 March 2010||Supermarket||Justin and his friends Entesar and Adam go shopping at the supermarket (Asda). They look for a shopping trolley, a pineapple and some bowls. Mr Tumble brings his shopping home with help from Lord Tumble - but Lord Tumble puts things in the wrong places. At the start of the programme, Mr Tumble is seen in Frogmore, Devon.|
|14/15||25 March 2010||Butterfly||Justin and his friends Toni Clarice and Poppy visit a Butterfly World, Isle of Wight. They look for a caterpillar, a red flower and a café. Mr Tumble tries to film a butterfly with his new video camera, but it keeps flying away - thanks to Grandad Tumble's tricks!|
|15/15||26 March 2010||Drive||Justin and his friends, Felix, William and Jack travel on a school bus. They look for a school bus, a car wash and a playground. Mr Tumble cleans his car - using bubbles from Grandad Tumble's bath!|
|01/21||1 Nov 2010||Nature Trail||Justin, Amy and Sebastian look for teeny tiny creatures that live in a park, whilst Mr Tumble goes fishing with Big Teddy.|
|02/21||2 Nov 2010||Play||Justin visits his friends at their playgroup and joins them having fun at the water table, sandpit and playing the parachute game. Meanwhile Mr Tumble is playing some games of his own with Grandad Tumble and Lord Tumble.|
|03/21||3 Nov 2010||Sport||Justin has a very sporty day with his friends Tyrone, Claire and Sophie. Whilst Aunt Polly, Lord Tumble and Grandad Tumble show Mr Tumble how to do his exercises.|
|04/21||4 Nov 2010||Island||Justin and his friends Adam and Levi are visiting the Farne Islands by boat to see the seals. Mr Tumble is visiting his friend Fisherman Tumble and helping him get ready to go out on his fishing boat.|
|05/21||5 Nov 2010||Festival||Justin has lots of fun dancing to a band at a music festival with his friend Jaya, while Grandad Tumble puts on a concert for Mr Tumble and the toys!|
|06/21||8 Nov 2010||London||Justin has a day out in London with his friends Sabia, Mihad and Saqib. Meanwhile, Mr Tumble has lots of fun at home with his London Book.|
|07/21||9 Nov 2010||Art||Justin visits his friends at their school and has lots of fun with paint, while Mr Tumble paints a surprise for Grandad Tumble.|
|08/21||10 Nov 2010||Baby||Justin visits his friend Josh and helps him look after his baby sister Olivia for the day, while Mr Tumble gets ready for a very special baby visitor of his own.|
|09/21||11 Nov 2010||Village Fete||Justin has a great day at a village fete with Kieran and Nick. Whilst Mr Tumble holds his own Village Fete for the toys!|
|10/21||12 Nov 2010||Big Animals||Justin and his friends Danny and Grace visit a zoo and help the zoo keepers at feeding time. Justin helps shower a mummy elephant called Karishma and her three-week-old baby called George. Meanwhile, Mr Tumble has a very special job - cleaning out Harry the Hamster's cage. But who is looking after Harry?|
|11/21||15 Nov 2010||Music||Justin and his friends perform The Hello Song to their friends Chloe, Calum, Jack, Ruby and Ashleigh. Meanwhile, Mr Tumble wants to be a pop star after watching his favourite singer Cliff Tumble on the TV.|
|12/21||16 Nov 2010||Strawberry Picking||Justin goes strawberry picking with his friends, Jessica and Mason. Mr Tumble is very hungry and goes looking for fruit in the garden.|
|13/21||17 Nov 2010||Cooking||Justin and his friends Faith, Julia and Kia are making a very special pudding called Mr Tumble Jumble. Mr Tumble is making something very special too - Grandad Tumbles lunch.|
|14/21||18 Nov 2010||Sleepover||Justin and his friend Bobbi find out what it's like to have a sleepover. They unpack Bobbie's overnight bag, have a barbecue on the beach and finish up with a lovely drink of hot chocolate. Mr Tumble is having a sleepover of his own in his garden.|
|15/21||19 Nov 2010||Routines||Justin spends the day with his friend Danny finding out what he does after school each day. Meanwhile Mr Tumble shows us what he does before he goes to bed.|
|16/21||22 Nov 2010||Birthday Party||Justin is attending a party with all his friends. There are games to play, party food to eat and music to dance to. Meanwhile, back at the Tumble house there's a party going on too - a surprise party for Lord Tumble.|
|17/21||23 Nov 2010||Shopping||Justin and his friend Rithika spend the day shopping in Southall. Mr Tumble has asked them to look for a sari, some jewellery and some Indian sweets. Mr Tumble is doing his washing and needs to find some spare clothes to wear while it is drying.|
|18/21||24 Nov 2010||Cafe||Justin and his friends Aaliyah, Jamie and Necip, go for lunch at a Cafe. Meanwhile, Mr Tumble opens his new Cafe and we are introduced to the all new Chef Tumble!|
|19/21||25 Nov 2010||Forest Art||Justin joins Niamh, Dan and Ross in the Forest Of Dean to create some Forest Art. Meanwhile, Mr Tumble is in his forest looking for animals from inside his den!|
|20/21||26 Nov 2010||Park||Justin and his friends Ryan, Cameron and Delise are having a lovely day at the park. They try out the rides, get lost in the maze and have a dragon boat race on the lake! Mr Tumble is trying to find a boat of his own to go on a sea adventure, but who will help him find one?|
|21/21||24 Dec 2010||A Christmas Special||It's Christmas and Mr Tumble, Lord Tumble and Grandad Tumble are decorating the Tumble house.|
|01/25||22 October 2012||Motor Home||Mr Tumble is moving to his new home in Tumbleton! Justin is in a moving home too - he is with his friend Ethan. Ethan's grandparents have a home on wheels - a motor home! Where will they go for their day out? Where will they park the Motor Home? And what will they see?|
|02/25||23 October 2012||Concert||Justin goes to see Victoria, Daisy and Lily Mae in York. They sing and sign in a choir. Justin joins in their practice. They are going to perform in a big concert! Meanwhile, Mr Tumble is busy organising a concert of his own in Tumble Terrace.|
|03/25||24 October 2012||Art||Mr Tumble is painting a picture, but it's not simple! His friends keep moving the things he's painting! Justin, on the other hand, has a lot of fun with his friends making some great paintings - but they're not making them with paint brushes!|
|04/25||25 October 2012||Police||Justin's friends Donald and Sajid are pretending to be police officers. They are really good at using the police radios and they look just like police officers in their big helmets. Mr Tumble is doing some detective work too. He is trying to find out what has happened to Grandad's carrots!|
|05/25||26 October 2012||Donkey||Lord Tumble's not feeling very well. Luckily, Mr Tumble knows exactly what he needs - a bowl of tasty soup! Meanwhile, Justin and his friends are working very hard in the donkey sanctuary, caring for the donkeys.|
|06/25||29 October 2012||Gymnastics||Justin visits a fun gymnastics club in Nantwich, and his friends Zak and Emma show him how to do star shapes on the trampoline and tuck shapes on the rings. Plus there's an obstacle course to race over! Meanwhile Mr Tumble is causing some obstacles of his own as he searches high and low for his skipping rope.|
|07/25||30 October 2012||Chadani's Day||Mr Tumble has the hiccups because he gobbled his food too quickly. Justin, on the other hand, is taking his time over a lovely meal with his friend Chadani. Plus, Chadani takes him to a very special place - her temple.|
|08/25||31 October 2012||Cheerleaders||Justin joins the Birches Bears as they prepare for a very exciting showcase. The Birches Bears are a brilliant cheerleading team who sing and shout their support for their school. Aunt Polly and Lord Tumble are also supporters - at a football match in Tumbleton!|
|09/25||1 November 2012||Monkey||Mr Tumble is trying to find his toy monkey. Justin, on the other hand, takes Evie and Thomas to Fota to see the monkeys.|
|10/25||2 November 2012||Waterpark||Justin visits the Sandcastle Water Park with Holly-May and Alicia.|
|11/25||4 November 2012||Circus||Mr Tumble and the Tumble Family are putting on a circus. Justin, on the other hand, goes to the circus with Jake and Luke.|
|12/25||6 November 2012||Ferry||Justin takes Molly and Ben out on a ferry To Liverpool.|
|13/25||7 November 2012||Fishing||Mr Tumble is going fishing with Fisherman Tumble. Justin, on the other hand, takes Isaac and Harry fishing too.|
|14/25||9 November 2012||Chocolate||Mr Tumble is making a chocolate cake for Aunt Polly's birthday. Meanwhile, Justin and his friends, Abdul and Joshua make a chocolate cake too.|
|15/25||10 November 2012||Football||Justin plays football with Lucas.|
|16/25||3 December 2012||Narrowboat||Jessica and Daniel take Justin on a very special day out on a narrowboat.|
|17/25||4 December 2012||Ice Cream||Justin is visiting an ice cream factory with May, Katie and Dara.|
|18/25||5 December 2012||My Pets||Justin's friends, Amy, Emily and Grace, are showing him their pets.|
|19/25||6 December 2012||My Neighbourhood||Justin and his friend, Maisy, are exploring her neighbourhood.|
|20/25||7 December 2012||Castle||Mr Tumble is playing at being king.|
|21/25||10 December 2012||Birds||Mr Tumble is going bird-watching.|
|22/25||11 December 2012||Outdoors||Mr Tumble is playing games outdoors.|
|23/25||12 December 2012||Pottery||Justin and his friends are doing pottery.|
|24/25||13 December 2012||Cycling||Mr Tumble is going cycling.|
|25/25||14 December 2012||Ceilidh||Justin is going with Freya, Anna and Daniel to a ceilidh.|
- Royal Television Society Educational Television Awards 2004
- Awarded Best Early Years Programme (for the episode Garden)
- BAFTA Children's Awards 2005
- Awarded Best Pre-school Live Action Series
- BAFTA Children's Awards 2007
- Nominated for Best Presenter (Justin Fletcher)
- BAFTA Children's Awards 2008
- Awarded Best Presenter (Justin Fletcher)
- 'Something Special - Favourite Things' comprising the episodes Toys, Music, Colours, Food and What I Like (BBC Active, 2005, ISBN 0-563-51646-1)
- 'Something Special - Pets and Other Animals' comprising the episodes Pets, A Farm, Gardens, Under the Sea and Jungle Animals (BBC Active, 2006, ISBN 978-0-563-51647-7)
- 'Something Special - Where I Live' comprising the episodes Where I Live, All About Me, Food, Moving and Family (BBC Active, 2006, ISBN 978-0-563-51641-5)
- 'Something Special - Hello Mr Tumble' (also titled 'Something Special - Out and About - Hello Mr Tumble) comprising the episodes Airport, Garden Centre, By the Sea, Hospital, Houseboat, Bike Ride and Drive (BBC Worldwide, 2011)
- 'Something Special - Bumper Boxset' (BBC, 2 Entertain, 2013, ASIN B00EQ30D4A)
- "Network TV BBC Week 10: Monday 8 March 2010". BBC. 22 February 2010. Retrieved 1 March 2010.
- "The sign of someone who cares". The Sun (United Kingdom). Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "BBC Media Centre - Programme Information - Something Special - We're all Friends". BBC. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "The Tale of Mr Tumble". Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "BBC - CBeebies Programmes - Something Special - Series". Retrieved February 2010. Check date values in:
- "Something Special: Series 7: Pony Trekking". BBC. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Something Special - We're All Friends: Complete Episode List". TheTVDB.com. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Something Special - We're All Friends: Complete Episode List". TheTVDB.com. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Something Special - We're All Friends: Complete Episode List". TheTVDB.com. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Royal Television Society - Educational Television Awards 2004". Royal Television Society. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Past Winners and Nominees - Children's - Awards - 2005". BAFTA. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Past Winners and Nominees - Children's - Awards - 2007". BAFTA. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Past Winners and Nominees - Children's - Awards - 2008". BAFTA. Retrieved 17 March 2010.