Coat of arms

Coordinates: 50°32′23″N 08°24′26″E / 50.53972°N 8.40722°E / 50.53972; 8.40722Coordinates: 50°32′23″N 08°24′26″E / 50.53972°N 8.40722°E / 50.53972; 8.40722
Country Germany
State Hesse
Admin. region Gießen
District Lahn-Dill-Kreis
  Mayor Frank Inderthal (SPD)
  Total 34.05 km2 (13.15 sq mi)
Population (2015-12-31)[1]
  Total 13,456
  Density 400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 35606
Dialling codes 06442
Vehicle registration LDK
County of Solms
Grafschaft Solms
State of the Holy Roman Empire
Capital Solms
Government Principality
Historical era Middle Ages
   Established 1129
   Partitioned to S-Braunfels
    and S-Burg-Solms
1258 1258
Preceded by
Succeeded by
Duchy of Franconia
Full style: Count of Solms, Lord of Münzenberg, Wildenfels and Sonnenwalde
County of Solms: Town of Solms
Grafschaft Solms-Burg-Solms
State of the Holy Roman Empire
Capital Solms
Government Principality
Historical era Middle Ages
   Partitioned from Solms 1258
   Annexed to S-Braunfels 1415
Preceded by
Succeeded by
County of Solms

Solms is a town west of Wetzlar in the Lahn-Dill-Kreis, Hessen, Germany.

In the constituent community of Burgsolms once stood the ancestral castle of the Counts and Princes of Solms.



Solms lies right in the Lahn valley and is nestled between the foothills of both the Taunus and Westerwald at heights from 140 to 400 m above sea level. It is about 7 km west of Wetzlar and 30 km northeast of Limburg an der Lahn.

Neighbouring communities

Solms borders in the north on the community of Ehringshausen and the town of Aßlar, in the east on the town of Wetzlar, in the south on the community of Schöffengrund, and in the west on the town of Leun (all in the Lahn-Dill-Kreis).

Constituent communities

The town consists of the following centres:


Solms had its first documentary mention in 788 in a donation document from the Lorsch Monastery. The villages that nowadays form the town of Solms belonged for centuries to the County of Solms, an independent state within the Holy Roman Empire, elevated to a county in 1223, until it was dissolved in 1806. The still existing lines of the House of Solms are the princely branches of Solms-Braunfels with their seat in Braunfels, Solms-Hohensolms-Lich with their seat in Lich and Solms-Baruth, furthermore the Counts of Solms-Laubach with their seat in Laubach, Solms-Rödelheim-Assenheim with their seat in Assenheim, Solms-Sonnewalde and Solms-Wildenfels. The Burgsolms castle at Solms, ancestral seat of the family since around 1100, was destroyed in 1384 by a coalition of nearby towns under the leadership of Wetzlar, forcing count John to move to Greifenstein castle.

After a short while being part of the Duchy of Nassau, Solms passed to Prussia in 1815.

As part of Hesse's municipal reforms, the communities of Albshausen and Oberbiel voluntarily merged on 1 July 1971 to form Bielhausen, while Burgsolms and Oberndorf did the same to form Solms. By state law, these two new communities were amalgamated with Niederbiel on 1 January 1977 to make the new greater community of Solms, which in 1978 was granted town rights.

A new residential area has been being built on the western edge of Oberbiel since the 1990s.


Town council

The municipal elections in 2011 yielded the following results:[2]

Party Seats
Freie Wählergruppe (FWG) 23.4
Social Democratic Party (SPD) 40.3
Christian Democratic Union (CDU) 23.0
Free Democratic Party (FDP) 2.6
Greens 10.7

Note: FWG is a citizens' coalition.

Town of Solms Youth Council

Since 2002 there has been a Town of Solms Youth Council serving as the town's official board representing youth's interests and needs. It is elected every two years by children and youths who either live in the town or go to the comprehensive school.


The town of Solms maintains partnerships with the following places:

Economy and infrastructure

Oberbiel is home to two commercial-industrial areas. A shipping company has set up shop at the newer one, while the older one, on an island in the river Lahn, was established in the early 20th century. It was originally home to a brad factory, a wireworks and a ball bearing factory.



This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 10/30/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.