Sociology of art
Studying the sociology of art throughout history is the study of the social history of art, how various societies contributed to the appearance of certain artists.
In her 1970 book Meaning and Expression: Toward a Sociology of Art, Hanna Deinhard gives these defining features of a sociology of art: "The point of departure of the sociology of art is the question: How is it possible that works of art, which always originate as products of human activity within a particular time and society and for a particular time, society, or function -- even though they are not necessarily produced as 'works of art' -- can live beyond their time and seem expressive and meaningful in completely different epochs and societies? On the other hand, how can the age and society that produced them be recognized in the works?"
Raymonde Moulin "The French Art Market", Rutgers University Press, 1987 ISBN 0-8135-1232-8
- Deinhard, Hanna (1970). Meaning and Expression: Toward a Sociology of Art. Boston: Beacon Press. p. 3.
- Jean-Marie Guyau, L’art au point de vue sociologique (1889).
- Deinhard, Hanna, Meaning and Expression: Toward a Sociology of Art. Beacon Press, Boston, 1970. ISBN 0-8070-6664-8
- Becker, Howard S., The epistemology of qualitative research. University of Chicago Press, 1996. 53-71. [from Ethnography and human development : context and meaning in social inquiry / edited by Richard Jessor, Anne Colby, and Richard A. Shweder]
- Howard S. Becker, New Directions in the Sociology of Art. ESA colloque in Paris, April 2003.
- Nakajima, Seio. "Prosumption in Art." American Behavioral Scientist Vol. 56, No. 4 (April 2012): 550-569.
- Torin Monahan, Digital Art Worlds: Technology and Productions of Value in Art Education. Foundations in Art: Theory and Education in Review 26: 7-15, 2004.
- Nick Zangwill, Against the Sociology of Art. Philosophy of the Social Sciences 32(2): 206—18, 2002.
- John Paul, Art as Weltanschauung: An Overview of Theory in the Sociology of Art. Electronic Journal of Sociology, 2005.
- Alain Quemin, "Globalization and Mixing in the visual arts. An Empirical Survey of "High Culture" and Globalization", International Sociology, vol. 21, n°4, July 2006, p. 522-550.
- Alain Quemin, "International Contemporary Art Fairs in a "Globalized" Art Market", European Societies, vol.15, n°2, 2013, p. 162-177.
- Alain Quemin, Les stars de l'art contemporain. Notoriété et consécration artistiques dans les arts visuels", Paris, Editions du CNRS, 2013, 458 p.
- SocioSite: Art in Cyberspace Guide for the Sociology of Art