Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne
|Purpose||Historical & Archaeological|
|Research & publications, lectures & events|
|Archaeology, Coins, Bagpipes, Manuscripts|
|Affiliations||Great North Museum|
The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, the oldest provincial antiquarian society in England, was founded in 1813. It is a registered charity under English law.
It has had a long-standing interest in the archaeology of the north-east of England, particularly of Hadrian's Wall, but also covering prehistoric and medieval periods, as well as industrial archaeology. It has also maintained an interest in the traditional music of the north-east, and particularly the Northumbrian smallpipes. It published the Northumbrian Minstrelsy in 1882, edited by Rev. John Collingwood Bruce and John Stokoe; this played a significant role in supporting the traditional instrumental music and song of the north-east.
The Society maintains several important collections. Its archaeological collection is held at the Great North Museum, its bagpipe collection, based on the collection assembled by William Cocks, in Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum, and its collection of manuscripts at the Northumberland Record Office. Its journal is Archaeologica Aeliana, first published in 1822, and now published annually.
- ↑ "The Society's History". Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-04.
- ↑ Charity Commission. THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, registered charity no. 230888.
- ↑ ISSN 0261-3417