The Snotingas were an Anglian tribe who either took their name from a chieftain called "Snot" or "Snod", or from the word Snottenga, meaning "caves". The Snotingas occupied the settlement of Snottengaham or Snodengaham (modern Nottingham).
Nottingham's St Mary's Church was probably established as a minster as early as the late 7th century, and the extent of its minster parish is likely to represent the original extent of the territory of the Snotingas. Although determining this area is complicated by the large amount of land held by St Mary's granted to Lenton Priory after the Norman Conquest, it certainly included Whiston in the north of the modern city, and probably the areas of Lenton, Radford, Basford, Arnold, West Bridgford, Wilford, Barton and Clifton.
- John Throsby, "The history and antiquities of the town and county of the town of Nottingham", Burbage and Stretton, Tupman, Wilson, and Sutton, 1795
- Gurnham 2010, p. 2.
- Gurnham 2010, p. 4.
- Gurnham 2010, p. 11.
- Gurnham, Richard (2010), A History of Nottingham, Andover: Phillimore & Co, ISBN 1860776582