Slobodan Prosperov Novak
Slobodan Prosperov Novak (born 11 April 1951), is a Croatian literature historian, comparativist and theatrologist.
Prosperov Novak was born in Belgrade, but spent his childhood in Dubrovnik. He graduated comparative literature in 1973 at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Zagreb, receiving his M.A. in 1976 and Ph.D. in 1978. He worked as a journalist in a periodical Vjesnik u srijedu (1973–1974).
In 1977 he is an assistant, and in 1988 a professor of Old Croatian literature at the Faculty of Philosophy. In the period of 1981-1984 he teaches at the Institute for Slavic Philology of the University of Rome, and from 1990-1992 he serves as an assistant of the minister of education, culture and sport of the Republic of Croatia.
In 1990-1992 he was the president of the council of Dubrovnik Summer Festival, and in 2000 served as its head.
For a number of years he edited a periodical of Croatian writers Most ("The Bridge"). He served as a president of Croatian PEN society in the period 1990-2000, organizing with his co-workers in 1993, in war-affected Dubrovnik, the 59th Word PEN Congress. In 1998 he instituted Mediterranean Institute Grga Novak on the island of Hvar.
From 2001-2005 he taught South Slavic philology at the Department for Slavic studies of the University of Yale in New Haven, USA. Since 2010, he teaches literature at the Academy of Dramatic Art in Zagreb.
He edited several books on Croatian writers, authored many literary anthologies, and was the creator of multimedial projects, such as the theater shows Ecce homo and Kako bratja prodaše Jozefa at Dubrovnik Summer Festival in 1995.
- Dubrovački eseji i zapisi, 1975
- Teatar u Dubrovniku prije Marina Držića, 1977
- Vučistrah i dubrovačka tragikomedija, 1979
- Komparatističke zagonetke, 1979
- Zašto se Euridika osvrnula, 1981
- Planeta Držić, 1984
- Dubrovnik iznova, 1987.
- Kad su đavli voljeli hrvatski, 1988
- Hrvatski pluskvamperfekt, 1991
- Figure straha, 1994
- Povijest hrvatske književnosti (three volumes), 1996, 1997, 1999
- Kratka povijest avanturizma, 2001
- Zlatno doba, 2002
- Povijest hrvatske književnosti 2004
- "Dr. sc. Slobodan Prosperov Novak, redoviti profesor". adu.unizg.hr (in Croatian). Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Zagreb. 26 October 2010. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Slobodan Prosperov Novak, sveučilišni profesor i povjesničar hrvatske književnosti". Vijenac (in Croatian) (337). 1 February 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2014.