Sir John Carew, 3rd Baronet
Carew was the son and heir of Sir Alexander Carew, 2nd Baronet (1608–1644) by his wife Jane Rolle (d.1679) daughter of Robert Rolle (d.1633) of Heanton Satchville, Petrockstowe, Devon. His father was beheaded on Tower Hill on 23 December 1644 for attempting to betray the Parliamentary cause during the English Civil War.
Carew succeeded to the baronetcy in 1644 and although the estates were initially sequestered they were later released and he was allowed to inherit in November 1645.
In 1660 Carew was elected Member of Parliament for Cornwall in the Convention Parliament. In 1661 he was elected MP for Bodmin for the Cavalier Parliament and sat until 1679. He was then elected MP for Lostwithiel until 1685. In 1689 he was re-elected MP for Cornwall until 1690 when he was elected MP for Saltash. He sat until his death at the age of 56 in 1692.
Marriages & progeny
- Firstly to Sarah Hungerford (d.1671), daughter of Antony Hungerford of Farleigh Hungerford Castle, by whom he had the following progeny:
- John Carew (1670–1672), died young
- Alexander Carew (1667–1669), died young
- Jane Carew (1662–1700), second wife of Jonathan Rashleigh II (1642–1702), of Menabilly, Cornwall, MP for Fowey and Sheriff of Cornwall in 1687. From this marriage were descended the Pole-Carew family which in the person of her great-grandson Reginald Pole-Carew (1753–1835) inherited Antony in 1748 on the death of Sir Coventry Carew, 6th Baronet (c. 1716–1748), and in compliance with the terms of the bequest adopted the name Carew in addition to his paternal surname of Pole.
- Rachel Carew (1664-), wife of Ambrose Manaton of Devon.
- Secondly he married Elizabeth Norton (d.1679), daughter of Richard Norton of Southwick, Hampshire; without progeny.
- Thirdly he married Mary Morice (d.1698), daughter of Sir William Morice, 1st Baronet (c.1628-1690) of Werrington, Devon, by whom he had the following progeny:
- Vivian, Lt.Col. J.L., (Ed.) The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564 & 1620, Exeter, 1895, pp. 133–145, pedigree of Carew
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, Carew Baronets, p.155
- Vivian, Lt.Col. J.L., (Ed.) The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564 & 1620, Exeter, 1895, p.654, pedigree of Rolle
- John Burke, John Bernard Burke A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant baronetcies
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 4)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)
- Vivian, p.143
- Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry, 15th Edition, ed. Pirie-Gordon, H., London, 1937, pp. 1891, Rashleigh of Menabilly