Anthony St John
St John was a son of Oliver St John, 3rd Baron St John of Bletso and his wife Dorothy Reid, daughter of Sir John Rede or Reid, of Odington, Gloucestershire. He was knighted on 5 August 1608 at Bletsoe together with his brother Alexander.
In 1624 St John was elected Member of Parliament for Wigan. In 1625 he was elected MP for Cheshire. St John was a captain in the Earl of Essex Regiment of Foot in 1642 and continued to support the parliamentary side in the Civil War.
St John married Lady Katherine Herbert, 24 April 1610 St. Andrew Holborn, London, England; widow of Sir W. Herbert and a daughter of Dr. Aubrey, and by her had Oliver (who died 8) and Dorothy. His daughter Dorothy married Sir John Booth. His eldest brother Oliver inherited the Barony and became Earl of Bolingbroke. His brothers Beauchamp and Alexander sat as MPs for Bedford.
- Archaeologia Cambrensis (1861)
- Knights of England
- Willis, Browne (1750). Notitia Parliamentaria, Part II: A Series or Lists of the Representatives in the several Parliaments held from the Reformation 1541, to the Restoration 1660 ... London. pp. 229–239.
- The Parliamentary Army under the Earl of Essex 14 September 1642
- Journals of the House of Commons, Volume 4 By Great Britain House of Commons
- Fonmon Castle website
- London Metropolitan Archives, St Andrew Holborn, Register of marriages, 1559 - 1698, P69/AND2/A/002/MS06668, Item 001.
|Parliament of England|
Sir Thomas Gerard, 2nd Baronet
|Member of Parliament for Wigan
With: Francis Downes
| Succeeded by|
|Member of Parliament for Cheshire
With: Sir Robert Cholmley, 1st Baronet
| Succeeded by|
Sir Richard Grosvenor, 1st Baronet