Siocon, Zamboanga del Norte
|Nickname(s): Kalaw (hornbill) Capital of Zamboanga del Norte|
Map of Zamboanga del Norte with Siocon highlighted
Location within the Philippines
|Coordinates: 07°42′N 122°08′E / 7.700°N 122.133°ECoordinates: 07°42′N 122°08′E / 7.700°N 122.133°E|
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Norte|
|District||3rd district of Zamboanga del Norte|
|Founded||December 23, 1936|
|• Mayor||Julius Lobrigas|
|• Vice-Mayor||Nathaniel Usin|
|• Total||503.20 km2 (194.29 sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class|
Visitors describe Siocon as a "hidden paradise".
Local industry includes the Canatuan mine.
Siocon is politically subdivided into 26 barangays.
- Andres Micubo Jr. (Balili)
- Datu Sailela
- Dionisio Riconalla
- Jose P. Brillantes, Sr. (Old Lituban)
- Mateo Francisco
- New Lituban
- S. Cabral
- Santa Maria
- Suhaile Arabi
- Lituban - from the sitios of Lituban, Pangian, Quibanbanan and Tabayo;
- Tibangao - from the sitios of Tibangao, Daanlawas, Mangcabing, Cuab and Matiag;
- Balagunan - from the sitios of Baliguian, Mamad and Balagunan Grande; and
- Malipot - from the sitios of Malipot, Siay, Kanibungan, Baligngan and Pisawac.
In May 2003, The municipality was attacked by 150 Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) guerrillas and Abu Sayyaf. The attacked commenced at 12 AM in MAY 4. Small group of policemen led by 27-year-old police senior inspector Ranie Planilla Hachuela depended Siocon for nine-hour gun battle. Hachuela managed to rally his men in putting up stiff resistance against the wave of attacks by the rebels trying to overrun the municipal hall, police station and hospital. For this reason he was awarded Medal of Valor for risking his life and for rescuing the town mayor and his family.
The rebel created a bullet proof plan of securing the entry and exit of the Poblacion (town center). Responding government troops were ambushed as they tried to aid the policemen who were so unmanned at the moment.
That frightening feeling was expressed by wiljun cubero as he narrated how the rebels stormed the municipal hall and fire station right next to their house at Micubo's compound.
13 of the 150 rebels were killed including Jairullah Hassan aka Commander Hairon of the MILF who headed the attached.
In the case of casualties, eleven government troops and 25 civilians lost their lives with in the assault including two seminarians. Public market was burned down and civilians were taken out from their home as a human shield as rebels withdraw. Some hostages were later released hours after while other strongmen were held for days as they were tasked to carry the rebel's wounded fellow in the thick forest in the municipality of Sibuco.
The day after the attached, MILF spokesman Eid Kabalu expressed that the attacked was a show of force by the MILF and Abu Sayyaf with in the area.
|Population census of Siocon|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Most of its 26 barangays have their respective public elementary schools and only few have public secondary schools. In the town proper has its elementary and secondary public schools and a state university.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 12 May 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Province: ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "An Act Converting into Barrios Certain Sitios in the Province of Zamboanga Del Norte". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
|Sulu Sea||Tungawan, Zamboanga Sibugay|