Simcha Bunim Alter
|Simcha Bunim Alter|
|Term||March 1977 – July 7, 1992|
|Full name||Simcha Bunem Alter|
|Main work||Lev Simcha|
April 6, 1898|
July 7, 1992 94) (aged|
|Buried||Mount of Olives, July 7, 1992|
|Successor||Pinchas Menachem Alter|
|Father||Avraham Mordechai Alter|
|Mother||Chaya Ruda Yehudis Czarna|
|Wife||Yuta Hena Alter|
Chaya Ruda Yehudis Alter|
Rivka Feyga Alter
Yaakov Aryeh Alter
Simcha Bunim Alter (Hebrew: שמחה בונים אלתר; April 6, 1898 – August 6, 1992), also known as the Lev Simcha (Hebrew: לב שמחה) after the works he authored, was the sixth Rebbe of the Hasidic dynasty of Ger, a position he held from 1977 until 1992.
Being a Palestinian citizen, Alter and his family were able to enter Mandate Palestine during 1940 to escape Nazi persecution in Poland. Prior to becoming Rebbe of Ger, Alter was a businessman dealing in real estate.
During his leadership, Ger Hasidim grew greatly in the State of Israel. He continued the family tradition of vigorous leadership of the Agudat Israel party whose representatives in the Israeli Knesset (parliament) represent the interests of Haredi Judaism in the Jewish state. It was during his stewardship of the party that the non-Hasidic Degel HaTorah party (that was within the United Torah Judaism party) split when Rabbi Elazar Shach broke with Agudat Israel and its Hasidic leadership, led mainly by the Rebbe of Ger. Rabbi Shach then aligned with Rabbi Ovadia Yosef and had initially helped to launch the Sephardi Shas political party.
Rebbes of Ger
- Yitzchak Meir Alter (1799–1866)
- Chanokh Heynekh HaKohen Levin (1798–1870)
- Yehudah Aryeh Leib Alter (1847–1905)
- Avraham Mordechai Alter (1866–1948)
- Yisrael Alter (1895–1977)
- Simcha Bunim Alter (1898–1992)
- Pinchas Menachem Alter (1926–1996)
- Yaakov Aryeh Alter (b. 1939)
- Obituary: Rabbi Simha Bunem Alter, The Independent, (July 11, 1992).
- Holder, Meir (1986). History of the Jewish People: From Yavneh to Pumbedisa. Mesorah Publications Ltd. p. 315. ISBN 9780899064994.
| Succeeded by|
Pinchas Menachem Alter