Shire of Bannockburn
|Shire of Bannockburn|
Location in Victoria
|• Density||6.493/km2 (16.817/sq mi)|
|Area||702.28 km2 (271.2 sq mi)|
The Shire of Bannockburn was a local government area about 85 kilometres (53 mi) west-southwest of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 702.28 square kilometres (271.2 sq mi), and existed from 1862 until 1994.
Bannockburn was first incorporated as a road district on 31 October 1862, and became a shire on 30 June 1864. On 15 September 1915, it annexed the Shire of Meredith, which had been created on 30 June 1863, and became a shire on 28 April 1871. Parts of the shire's Steiglitz Riding were severed and annexed to the Shire of Corio's Lara Riding on 31 May 1916.
The Shire of Bannockburn was divided into four ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Bannockburn Riding
- Barwon Riding
- Meredith Riding
- Moorabool Riding
Towns and localities
- Russells Bridge
- Sutherlands Creek
- Woodburn Creek
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.