Shimon HaTzadik is a Jewish neighborhood in East Jerusalem, established around the Tomb of Simeon the Just, after whom it was named. The tomb and surrounding lands (a plot of approximately 18 dunams) was purchased in 1876 by the committee of the Sephardic community and the Ashkenazi Assembly of Israel. Starting shortly after the UN General Assembly recommended partition of the country into a Jewish state and an Arab state, the Shimon haTsadiq and Nahalat Shimon neighborhoods, close to the Tomb, on the way to Mount Scopus, were claimed by the Israelis though the UN General Assembly did not include it in the partitioning plan as a Jewish area.
- East Jerusalem's lost years
- This article points out that the Jewish population was driven out of the Shim`on haTsadiq Quarter in late December 1947. The article focusses on a Jewish historical site nearby in "East Jerusalem," the Tombs of the Kings, the tombs of the royal family of Adiabene that converted to Judaism and moved to Jerusalem in the late Second Temple Period. The article was first published in Midstream.