Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
|Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter|
|Distributor(s)||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|Series||Adventures of Sherlock Holmes|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3|
|Release date(s)||25 October 2016 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 10 June 2016 for PC|
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is an adventure mystery video game in the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series developed by Frogwares and published by Bigben Interactive for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2016. It was released on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 on 25 October 2016. It was originally scheduled for release on 10 June 2016 but it got delayed, however it didn't get delayed for the PC.
Like its predecessor Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, the majority of the game involves exploring crime scenes and examining clues. Once discovered, clues are added to a "deduction board", a gameplay mechanic which involves linking pieces of information together. It will lead to possible different deductions. Once deductions are connected together, player will have a full tree of deductions in the player's memory called mind palace. Depending on how players interpret the clues, they will have different conclusions. Therefore, the player can fail or succeed in finding the culprit.
Across five linked cases, Holmes confronts dark family secrets, both in his cases and personally, when a visiting woman begins interfering in his personal life, especially with his adopted daughter.
On 8 May 2015, an eighth installment in the series was announced. Kerry Shale was originally expected to reprise his role as Sherlock. However, it was later confirmed by Frogwares, that the game will focus on a different incarnation of Sherlock Holmes and will feature a new actor in the role.
The Devil's Daughter will the be first game since 2007 not to be published by Focus Home Interactive; instead it will be published by Bigben Interactive. No reasons were given for the change of publisher.
The PS4 version of the game has a score of 70% on Metacritic. GameSpot awarded it a score of 6.0 out of 10, saying "It’s a fantastic detective game; it’s just a shame that it's bogged down by myriad technical issues, and a mediocre attempt to inject some action into proceedings." IGN awarded it a score of 5.0 out of 10, saying "Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter has good mysteries, but the way you interact with them is rigid and limiting."
- "Bigben Interactive and Frogwares Reveal the New Sherlock Holmes Game". 22 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Launching on May 27 for PS4, XB1 & PC". PlayStationLifeStyle.net. 9 February 2016. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Kerry Shale [kerryshale] (24 October 2015). "Watch this space, Mark. I'm expecting a call, but the voices are added towards the end of the production." (Tweet). Retrieved 25 October 2015 – via Twitter.
- "New Sherlock Holmes Game Airs in 2016". 8 May 2015. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Metacritic Listing" (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sherlock-holmes-the-devils-daughter). Metacritic. Accessed 13 June 2016.
- Wakeling, Richard, June 7, 2016 "Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter Review" (http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sherlock-holmes-the-devils-daughter-review/1900-6416449/). GameSpot. Accessed 14 June 2016.
- Robertson, John, 17 June 2016, "SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER REVIEW" (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/17/sherlock-holmes-the-devils-daughter-review). IGN. Accessed 17 June 2016.