The Shelbourne Hotel is a famous hotel situated in a landmark building on the north side of St Stephen's Green, in Dublin, Ireland. Currently operated by Marriott International, the hotel has 265 rooms in total and reopened in March 2007 after undergoing an eighteen-month refurbishment.
John McCurdy designed the hotel and the studio of M. M. Barbezet of Paris cast the four external statues, two Nubian Princesses and their shackled slave girls.
The Shelbourne Hotel was founded in 1824 by Martin Burke, a native of Tipperary, when he acquired three adjoining townhouses overlooking Dublin's St Stephen's Green - Europe's largest garden square. Burke named his grand new hotel The Shelbourne, after William Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne.
During the 1916 Easter Rising the hotel was occupied by 40 British troops under Captain Andrews. Their objective was to counter the Irish Citizen Army and Volunteer forces commanded by Michael Mallin.
In 1922, the Irish Constitution was drafted in room 112, now known as The Constitution Room.
The hotel has been the subject of two histories, the first by Elizabeth Bowen and the second 'The Shelbourne and Its People' by Michael O'Sullivan (with Bernardine O'Neill) Blackwater Press Dublin 1999.
- Michael O'Sullivan, Bernard O'Neill: The Shelbourne and its people. Blackwater Press, 1999. ISBN 1-84131-442-0
- "Paddy, Bridget and Uncle Adolf -- meet the Irish Hitlers". Irish Independent. 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- Michael O'Sullivan, Bernard O'Neill: The Shelbourne and its people. Blackwater Press, 1999. p. 45 ISBN 1-84131-442-0
- Lyons, Tom; McConnell, Daniel (12 February 2012). "FG insider briefs the top bankers at private dinner: Cox marks the card of corporate elite on crisis". Retrieved 12 February 2012.