|Breeder||Dr. Howard J. Baker|
|Owner||Robert and Beverly Lewis|
|Trainer||D. Wayne Lukas|
Oak Leaf Stakes (1994)|
Hollywood Starlet Stakes (1994)
Landaluce Stakes (1994)
Las Virgenes Stakes (1995)
Jim Beam Stakes (1995)
Santa Ynez Stakes (1995)
Gazelle Handicap (1995)
Santa Anita Oaks (1995)
Mother Goose Stakes (1995)
Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (1995)
Haskell Invitational Handicap (1995)
Beldame Stakes (1995)
Hempstead Handicap (1996)
Fleur De Lis Handicap (1996)
Santa Maria Handicap (1996)
Santa Monica Handicap (1996)
Pimlico Distaff (1996)
Kentucky-bred Three-Year-Old Filly (1995)|
Kentucky-bred Horse of the Year (1995)
Kentucky-bred Handicap Mare (1996)
American Champion Three-Year-Old Filly (1995)
|U.S. Racing Hall of Fame (2002)|
|Last updated on January 1, 2008|
Serena’s Song (foaled April 4, 1992) is an American Thoroughbred race horse. She won 17 graded stakes races, including 11 Grade I (some against males and older mares), in three seasons for $3,286,388 in earnings.
She was by Rahy out of Imagining by Northfields (by Northern Dancer). Serena's Song was bred in Kentucky by Dr. Howard J. Baker. Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas bought her at auction for $150,000 for Eclipse of Merit owners Robert and Beverly Lewis.
In her two-year-old season, Serena's Song started 10 times and won four races. She also finished second twice and third once while compiling earnings of $597,335. In the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies, she finished second to the undefeated champion Flanders by a head. In the Grade I Hollywood Starlet Stakes, she beat Urbane.
In 13 starts at age three, Serena's Song won 9. One of her top performances was in the defacto second jewel of the filly Triple Crown, the $200,000 Grade II Black-Eyed Susan Stakes. That race was run on May 19, 1995, over a mile and one eighth at Pimlico Race Course. Serena's Song beat a field of seven stakes winners, including Conquistadoress and Rare Opportunity.
Serena's Song also beat males that year in the Jim Beam Stakes and the Haskell Invitational Handicap. She defeated older females in the Beldame Stakes. That year, she brought home the American Champion Three-Year-Old Filly award, winning $1,524,920.
In 1996, when she was four, Serena's Song started 15 times, winning 5 times, placing in 7 races, and coming in third twice. She ran over eight tracks and never finished worse than third. In May, she shipped to Baltimore and won the grade two Pimlico Distaff, now called the Allaire duPont Distaff Stakes, on the Preakness Stakes undercard. She came very close to winning the Whitney Handicap and was second in the Breeders' Cup Distaff. That year, she brought home $1,164,133.
- Serene's Tune-98 Bay Filly By Mr. Prospector - 7 wins, 2 to 4, $337,260, Victoria Lass H; she is the dam of IRE/GB G3 winner Vocalised by Vindication (stands at Redmonstown Stud in County Wexford), and non graded stakes winner Serena's Cat by Storm Cat, Serena's Tune died Sept 2006 of Acute Laminitis.
- Sophisticat-99 Bay Filly By Storm Cat - 3 wins at 2 and 3 in Eng,Fr, and Ire, $443,393, Coronation S (Eng-I); dam of G3 placed Sefroua by Kingmambo who earned $141,977, she is also the dam of G1 Placed Pursuit of Glory by Fusaichi Pegasus. She has minor runners by Galileo and Montjeu.
- Arbitrate - 2000 Chestnut Colt By Deputy Minister - . 5 wins, 3 to 5, $195,390 sire in Mexico.
- Grand Reward - 2001 Bay Colt by Storm Cat - 4 wins, 2 to 4, in NA, Eng, and Ire, $545,844, Oaklawn H (gr. II; He is currently standing at Haras La Quebrada, Argentina, started at Hill 'n' Dale in Kentucky then went to Ghost Ridge Farm in Felton, PA.
- Harlington - 2002 Bay Colt by Unbridled - 6 wins 2 to 5 in NA, $370,000, Gulfstream Park H. G2. Entered Stud at Hill 'N' Dale Farm in 2009,where he currently resides for $7,500, his first foals will be Two Year Olds in 2012. Now stands stud in Saudi Arabia.
- Pure Symmetry - 2003 Chestnut Filly By Storm Cat - non winner but placed 2 times in 6 races, dam of 2 foals both winners including High Stakes Player by A.P.Indy. and the Unbridled's Song Filly American Song who is owned by WinStar Farm.
- Colourful Score - 2004 Bay Horse by Storm Cat - 1 win in 3 starts won by 7 in the UAE.
- Spark Candle - 2005 Chestnut Horse by A.P. Indy - 7 wins, 2 to 6, 2011, in Japan, $187,379
- Schramsberg - 2006 Chestnut Horse by Storm Cat - 6 wins at 4 and 5, 2011, $394,626, John B. Connally Turf Cup H (gr.IIIT) Standing In Canada at Bar None, his first year 2012.
- Stormberg - 2008 Chestnut Colt By Storm Cat - Winner in 7 starts, ran 2nd by a nose running down the hill at Santa Anita
- Night and Day - 2009 Bay Filly By Unbridled's Song - Ran 1 time as a 2 year old, was unplaced.
- Serena's Melody - 2010 Bay Filly By Street Cry (Ire) -
- UNNAMED - 2011 Bay Filly By Medaglia D'Oro- Died as a foal
- Filly by Medaglia D'Oro - 2014
After her 2014 filly was weaned, Serena's Song was retired from broodmare duties. She still resides at Denali stud.
Serena’s Song was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2002, at age ten.
|Runaway Bride||Wild Risk|
|Halo||Hail to Reason|
|Dancer's Image||Native Dancer|
|Pat's Irish||Tudor Minstrel|
|Snow Shower (Family: 7)|
- "Champions, The Lives, Times, and Past Performances of America's Greatest Thoroughbreds, Revised Edition, Champions from 1893-2004," the Daily Racing Form
- Serena’s Song’s pedigree, racing stats, and photo
- Serena’s Song in the Hall of Fame