Some important figures in Seneca mythology were:
- Eagentci, whose name translates as "ancient-bodied one", is the Earth-mother, or First Mother.
- Dijien was a man-sized spider who survived most attacks because its heart was buried underground.
- Othegwenhda stabbed the heart under the Earth with a tree limb.
- Dagwanoenyent is a vicious northern witch who is depicted as a whirlwind. Her child's father killed her.
- Hagondes is a cannibalistic trickster and clown spirit.
- Kaakwha (also Kanawha) is the solar deity and god of light and truth, subordinate to Hawenniyo, a fertility god.
- The Dahdahwat are animals who appear in dreams and visions.
- Gagqa is the crow spirit.
- Awaeh Tegendji is an old woman who lives with her three beautiful daughters.
- Gijesa are spirits of the night sky.
- Hadowe are the Iroquois' equivalent of Dryads.