Seagoe Parish Church
|Seagoe Parish Church|
Seagoe Parish Church, 2007
(prior to the building of the Parish Centre)
|Location||Seagoe Road, Portadown|
|Denomination||Church of Ireland|
540 A.D |
|Consecrated||28 June 1816|
|Diocese||Down and Dromore|
|Rector||Canon Terence Cadden|
|Dean||Canon Gareth Harron|
|Curate(s)||Canon Raj Sathyaraj|
|Archdeacon||Venerable Roderic West|
Robert Turkington |
Seagoe Parish Church or St.Gobhan's Parish Church is a Church of Ireland church located in Portadown, Northern Ireland. It is on one of the oldest recorded sites of Christianity in Ireland. Christian links to the area date back to the early 500 AD's. It was founded by St. Gobhan.
The current rector is Terence Cadden, having been installed in 2006. The current's predecessor is David Chillingworth, Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church. Another previous rector was Jack Shearer, who later became the Dean of Belfast.
In 2010 the Church officially opened its state of the art parish centre. The build cost £1.5 million and was opened by the previous rector David Chillingworth. It contains a seriues of multi-functional rooms and classrooms, a main hall and a rotunda with a meeting area, coffee bar and circular prayer/quiet room.
- Seagoe Youth Group
- Sunday School
- Youth Fellowship
- Church Lads’ Brigade
- Church Girls' Brigade
- Junior Youth Club
- Senior Youth Club
- St. Patrick’s Youth Club
- After School activity Club
- Mothers’ Union
- Prayer Meeting
- Alpha Course
- Forward Focus Development Group
- Healing Prayer Group
- Music group
Seagoe Primary School
The church is linked to Seagoe Primary School, having established the school. The link is reflected in the school ethos. The school is one of just two remaining Anglican run primary schools in Northern Ireland. The rector is the Chairman of the Board of Governors, with both the church and diocese playing a key role in school life. The church uses the school facilities if required and services are held by the school in the church . The school is over 300 years old.
- "History - Seagoe Parish". Seagoe Parish Church. n.d.
- "Rev Terence Cadden installed as Precentor in Dromore Cathedral". Diocese of Down and Dromore. 24 February 2010.
- "Church of Ireland Notes from The Irish Times". Church of Ireland. 14 February 2004./266
- "Seagoe Parish Centre finally opens". Diocese of Down and Dromore. 27 June 2010.
- "Organisations". Seagoe Parish Church. n.d.
- "Seagoe Primary School - About us". Seagoe Primary School. n.d.