February 1982 – November 1982
June 1969 – June 1981
March 1957 – October 1961
December 1961 – June 1969
|Born||3 May 1916|
|Died||27 March 1996 79)(aged|
|Political party||Fianna Fáil|
Early and private life
Browne was a prominent member of the GAA. He served as chairman of Wexford County Board for 21 years.
Seán Browne was the uncle of John Browne, a TD representing the Wexford constituency from 1982 to 2016.
Browne was first elected to Dáil Éireann as a Fianna Fáil TD for the Wexford constituency at the 1957 general election. He was defeated at the 1961 election, and was unsuccessful again at the 1965 general election. However, after his 1961 defeat he was elected to the 10th Seanad on the Labour Panel, which returned him in 1965 to the 11th Seanad.
Browne regained his Dáil seat at the 1969 general election. He was re-elected to the Dáil in 1973 and 1977, but was defeated at the 1981 general election. He was re-elected at the February 1982 election, but when the 23rd Dáil was dissolved later that year, he did not contest the November 1982 election and was succeeded by his nephew John Browne.
He also served as Leas-Cheann Comhairle (Deputy Chairman) of Dáil Éireann from 1977 to 1981.
- "Browne celebrates 22 years at the top". Gorey Guardian. 19 May 2005. Retrieved 11 May 2008.
- "Death of Former Member (Seán Browne): Expression of Sympathy – 27 March 1996". Parliamentary Debates – Dáil Éireann. Retrieved 14 May 2008.
- "Seán Browne". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 14 May 2008.
- "Seán Browne – Seanad Members Database". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 14 May 2008.
- "Seán Browne – Dáil Éireann Members Database". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 14 May 2008.
|Party political offices|
|Chairman of the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party
| Succeeded by|