Scottish Enterprise is a sponsored non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government which encourages economic development, enterprise, innovation and investment in business. The body covers the eastern, central and southern parts of Scotland whilst a similar body, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, operates in north-western Scotland.
Scottish Enterprise started operations on 1 April 1991 under the Enterprise and New Towns (Scotland) Act 1990. That act merged the former Scottish Development Agency [SDA], created in 1975 and the Scottish Training Agency to form one integrated body.
On 1 April 2008, the skills function of Scottish Enterprise moved out of the organisation to the newly formed Skills Development Scotland.
Scottish Enterprise has approximately 1,100 staff and operates from 13 offices - Aberdeen, Bellshill, Clydebank, Dundee, Dumfries, Edinburgh, two in Glasgow, Glenrothes, Kilmarnock, Paisley, Selkirk and Stirling.
The eight members of the senior management team of Scottish Enterprise are referred to as the Executive Leadership Team. Current membership is as follows:
- Dr Lena Wilson - Scottish Enterprise Chief Executive
- Anne MacColl - Managing Director Operations - Scottish Development International
- Paul Lewis - Managing Director - Sectors and Commercialisation
- Adrian Gillespie - Managing Director - Company Growth, Innovation, Infrastructure & Investment
- Iain Scott - Chief Financial Officer
- Julian Taylor - Executive Director of Strategy and Economics
- Linda McDowall - Executive Director of Business Networks and Communications
- Carolyn Stewart - Executive Director of People Services
The current Chairperson of the Scottish Enterprise Board is Crawford Gillies.
Scottish Enterprise is largely funded by the Scottish Government, although it also raises part of its budget from other sources such as property rental and disposal of assets. SE has a budget of approximately £280 million for the financial year 2010/11.
- Official website
- Enterprise and New Towns (Scotland) Act 1990
- Scottish Development International
- Enterprise Europe Scotland
- Scotland Europa