The railway station and bell tower
Map of Luxembourg with Schifflange highlighted in orange, and the canton in dark red
|Coordinates: 49°30′20″N 6°00′45″E / 49.5056°N 6.0125°ECoordinates: 49°30′20″N 6°00′45″E / 49.5056°N 6.0125°E|
|• Mayor||Roland Schreiner|
|• Total||7.71 km2 (2.98 sq mi)|
|Area rank||102nd of 105|
|Highest elevation||406 m (1,332 ft)|
|• Rank||44th of 105|
|Lowest elevation||275 m (902 ft)|
|• Rank||79th of 105|
|• Rank||10th of 105|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||4th of 105|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Schifflange (Luxembourgish: Schëffleng, German: Schifflingen) is a commune and town in south-western Luxembourg. It is part of the canton of Esch-sur-Alzette, which is part of the district of Luxembourg.
As of 2014, the town of Schifflange, which lies in the west of the commune, has a population of 9332.
Schifflange was formed on 15 August 1876, when it was detached from the commune of Esch-sur-Alzette. The law forming Schifflange was passed on the 6 July 1876.
A steelworks in Schifflange was founded in 1871 by the Metz family as Usine METZ (Esch-Schifflange), the steelworks became part of ARBED in 1911. In the 1980s the plant was converted to the continuous casting of blooms, then in the 90s an electric furnace installed. In 1994 the company merged with the Belgian company Métallurgique et Minière de Rodange-Athus (MMRA) forming ARES (Aciéries Rodange Esch-Schifflange). In the first decade of the 21st century ownership passed from Arcelor to ArcelorMittal, in 2008 becoming ArcelorMittal Rodange and Schifflange S.A. together with the plant in Rodange.
- (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1876, No. 49" (PDF). Service central de législation. Retrieved 2006-08-15.
- "ARBED - Esch - Schifflange". www.industrie.lu (in French).
- "Presentation ArcelorMittal Rodange & Schifflange S.A.". www.ares.lu.