Scandola Nature Reserve
|Gulf of Porto: Calanche of Piana, Gulf of Girolata, Scandola Reserve|
|Name as inscribed on the World Heritage List|
|Criteria||vii, viii, x|
|UNESCO region||Europe and North America|
|Coordinates||42°21′25″N 8°34′0″E / 42.35694°N 8.56667°ECoordinates: 42°21′25″N 8°34′0″E / 42.35694°N 8.56667°E|
|Inscription||1983 (7th Session)|
The Scandola Nature Reserve is located on the west coast of the French island of Corsica, within the Corsica Regional Park. The reserve was established in 1975. The park and reserve has been recognized by the United Nations as a Natural World Heritage Site, and was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1983.
The Scandola Reserve is situated on the west coast of Corsica between Punta Muchillina and Punta Nera and includes Cape Girolata and Cape Porto. The reserve covers an area of 19.19 km2 (7.41 sq mi) of which 9.19 km2 (3.55 sq mi) is land and 10 km2 (3.9 sq mi) ihis sea.
The reserve has two sectors, the Elpa Nera inlet and the peninsula of Scandola. The jagged and sheer cliffs contain many grottos and are flanked by numerous stacks and almost inaccessible islets and coves, such as Tuara. The coastline is also noted for its red cliffs, sand beaches, and headlands.
Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers.
In 1930, a law was passed prohibiting destruction or modification within Corsica Regional Park. Scandola Nature Reserve is strictly protected in order to return the area to its natural state.
Gargalo island and Palazzu block.
Columnars jointed basalt.
Red Rhyolite cliffs.
- Bacar, H. "A survey of Existing and Potential Marine Parks and Reserves of the Mediterranean Region." 1977. IUCN/UNEP.
- Gryn-Ambroes, P. Preliminary Annotated Lists of Existing and Potential Mediterranean Protected Areas. 1980. UNEP/IUCN.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scandola Nature Reserve.|
- "Scandola" (in French). Réserves Naturelles de France.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site profile
- UNEP-WCMC World Heritage Site datasheet
- Pictures and description on http://www.wikisailing.com/Ilot_Palazzu