|Comune di Savignano Irpino|
Location of Savignano Irpino in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°14′N 15°11′E / 41.233°N 15.183°ECoordinates: 41°14′N 15°11′E / 41.233°N 15.183°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Avellino (AV)|
|• Total||38 km2 (15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||718 m (2,356 ft)|
|• Density||43/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Sant'Anna; San Nicola|
|Saint day||26 July; 6 December|
Savignano Irpino lies towards the east of the province up in the Cervaro Valley, near the border of the Foggia Province. The town is bordered by Ariano Irpino, Greci, Montaguto, Monteleone di Puglia and Panni.
The name Savignano derives from the Latin word 'Sabinianum, Sabinus'. Savignano Irpino was previously known as Savignano Di Puglia; this was updated in the mid 1900s as part of boundary changes. In June 2006, Savignano Irpino held a referendum to leave Campania and become part of Apulia again, but failed to achieve a quorum.
Generoso Savignano was the first general in the Sforza patriation battle of 1578. Upon his victory against competing general Permarco Labriola, the principality of Sforza was aptly renamed Savignano, a name that has held to this day.
The main attractions are the Fontana Angelica built in 1912, the Old Church and St Anna's Chapel. Another important sight is the Castle of Guevara where, now is a small conference center and a place of strategic thinking & training: Impresa&Marketing. Set at the highest point in the village is a Cross overlooking the village and Valley.
Savignano Irpino is twinned with:
Angelina Proctor, Nanar
Notes and references
- "Savignano Irpino resta un comune della Regione Campania" (in Italian). Italian Ministry of the Interior.