|Comune di Sava|
Town square at Sava
Location of Sava in Italy
|Coordinates: 40°24′N 17°34′E / 40.400°N 17.567°ECoordinates: 40°24′N 17°34′E / 40.400°N 17.567°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Taranto (TA)|
|Frazioni||Pasàno, Archignàno, Torre|
|• Total||44 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||108 m (354 ft)|
|Population (31 December 2010)|
|• Density||380/km2 (990/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Giovanni Battista|
|Saint day||23 and 24 June|
Sava, with its 16.776 inhabitants, is one of the biggest town in the Taranto province.
It's very famous for olive oil and, in particular, for the wine Primitivo, one of the best wine of Apulia.
The main monuments of the city are the Mother Church, the Palazzo Baronale, the Mater Domini's Church, the Monastery's Church, the San Cosimo's Church and San Luigi's Church.
Some of the finds of the district of Agliano, dating from around 300 BC, attest to the Greek presence in the present territory of Sava. It was probably the last outpost towards the southern Salento Taranto, populated by Messapi. At the end of the 7th century AD, with the division of the Apulia region between Byzantines and Lombards, was built along the border known as a limes or Paretone Limitone of the Greeks, a wall built in dry limestone of modest size. The Limitone ran from the Adriatic coast south of Brindisi until the Ionian coast: the current territory of the resort across the Sava it was up to the Mount of The Gypsy Magalastro.
Although there are no documents proving the origins of the village of Sava, the majority of local historians agree that its foundation dates from the 15th century. The historic P. Coco has conjectured, however, a more ancient origin, supported by a document in which King Alfonso II of Naples granted permission for the sale of the hamlets of Pasano, Aliano, Saba Albaro and repeatedly using the word "uninhabited" that suggests how they had been previously inhabited. In the early 14th century the houses of Aliano and Pasano were still inhabited by a few leading families rather wretched life until, in the second half of the century, they disappeared completely at the repeated devastation of their land caused by the struggle between the Aragonese and Angevin for the conquest of the Kingdom of Naples.
In 1798 the nobleman Giuseppe De Taranto Sinn purchased by the health education of the two farms and later Pasano Aliano and many other goods, including the castle with all its lands and its income.
With subversive of the feudal laws, the Napoleonic era, Sava obtained the independence and became the capital town of the district within the Province of Terra d'Otranto. At that time the country had had aggregate capital of output and the villages of Torricella Monacizzo but, in 1869, passed in Lizzano.
Sava, as the neighboring municipalities, has been characterized for most of the 20th century by emigration to northern Italy and, to a lesser extent, toward northern Europe.
On 19 August 1976 a powerful tornado struck the city of Sava and the surrounding countryside, until exhausted near Manduria; its passage led to intense rainfall and strong winds that caused extensive damage intensity.