Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute
|Chairman||Dr Partha G Ghose|
The institute was established in 1995, and registered as a Society on 18 August 1995 under the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961 and currently is an autonomous society funded by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India. It has been named after the acclaimed film director, Satyajit Ray. It has been accorded as an Institute of national importance by Government of India.
SRFTI is the premier institute of India for film training which stands inline with Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) for its quality of education and reputation in the Indian film industry and a member of CILECT (International Liaison Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television), an organization of the world's leading schools of film and television. In 2014, the NDA government proposed to give 'Centre of National Excellence' status to SRFTI.
The institute is governed by an autonomous body with Governing Council, Standing Finance Committee and an Academic Council. The institute is under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India.
It has the following departments:
- Department of Direction & Screenplay Writing
- Department of Sound Recording
- Department of Editing
- Department of Motion Picture Photography
- Department of Producing for Film & Television
- Department of Animation Cinema
- Film & TV Studio
- Main Theatre (370 seats), a Preview Theatre (72 seats) as well as an Open Air Theater with capacity of over 500 with 35mm, 16mm and Video projection facilities.
- Classroom Theatre equipped with home theatre and other modern amenities.
- The Institute has a film library which houses collections of Indian and foreign films.
- The Boys’ & Girls’ Hostels are equipped with all modern amenities.
- SRFTI also has a well-furnished guest house.
- Cinema of India
- Bhartendu Natya Academy
- Film and Television Institute of India
- State Institute of Film and Television
- Government Film and Television Institute
- K. R. Narayanan National Institute of Visual Science and Arts
- M.G.R. Government Film and Television Training Institute
- Biju Patnaik Film and Television Institute of Odisha
- Short films
- 3 On a Bed
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India Official website.
- "FTII Pune and SRFTI Kolkata to get institutes of national importance status". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Budget 2014: 'Centre of National Excellence' status to FTII, SRFTI". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved February 2015. Check date values in: